Squadron 42 - No AC Power

The place for Fairline discussions!
TrueBlue

Squadron 42 - No AC Power

Post by TrueBlue » Fri May 10, 2019 9:20 pm

We have purchased a used 2015 Squadron 42 and have had for 6 months. We just lost total AC power throughout the entire boat. The “shore power” button is lit, but can not transfer power into the boat - no battery charger on, air conditioning, led readouts on batteries/amps, etc. Any ideas? I’ve tried breakers on helm, below helm and engine room - no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

simonbdobson

Re: Squadron 42 - No AC Power

Post by simonbdobson » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:57 pm

I’m not sure this will help as our problem was slightly different: the boat continually tripped the shore power supply, although there was no obvious short circuit, or other issue.

After much searching, and a bit of luck, I discovered the immersion heater had a pinhole which caused it to act as a very small battery, and put a voltage on the negative side, which was enough to cause the current imbalance trips to operate.

Replacement was predictably a pain. I used an SDS drill on hammer-only to loosen the heater from the tank with no ill effects other than a lot of water in the lazarette.

Hope this helps
Simon
Simon & Jane Dobson

FLN

Re: Squadron 42 - No AC Power

Post by FLN » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:43 am

Hi True Blue,

This is a common problem on the Squadron 42.
If the shore power has been tripped ( does not matter what the course was) it will not switch on automaticly when the current is there again at the shorepower.
So if you are going from board for lets say a week and a day after you left, the shore power tripped and you kept your fridge on ( example) your batteries are dead when you are coming back after a week.
You have to switch on your shore power manually after the shore power tripped.

FLN