hello

Please read.
bobmason1

hello

Post by bobmason1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:31 pm

hi I'm bob just joined obviously anyway ive bought a 24 ish foot boat the holiday 23 I think it is ,I bought it because of the layout I liked it from the first sight .So saying that ive realised the engine is not the best its a 5.7 l Volvo Penta so very juicy and not very reliable so I want to replace it with a diesel lump firstly anyone know where I can purchase of a suitable engine for this boat or does anyone have one for sale. Also I think the sterndrive is a 280/but not sure Anyone with any advice about going ahead with this well I'm going ahead with this anyway but any info or advice would be very gracefully appreciated Thank you in advice bob

Murv

Re: hello

Post by Murv » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:38 am

I had a holiday that was repowered with a lancing marine ford transit engine. The engine was fine (although noisy) but the 270 leg kept falling to bits.
It was a fast boat, but needed a lot of revs to get it on the plane. 140-150hp is the minimum, I always thought it would have cruised nicely with 200hp.
May be worth keeping an eye on coastal rides as well, they frequently have used engines for sale.
It may be well worth assessing the cost of a repower against the fuel savings though, it's an expensive job that would buy an awful lot of petrol!

Good luck, and welcome to the forums!