electrical problem

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

electrical problem

Postby LanzaBoy38 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi
I have a 2010 targa 38 out in Lanzarote. I have had several months of problems with the port engine not starting
I get an error code saying check evc. I have had the local Volvo guy several times. 5k later and still no further on.
They changed the ecu and hcu units. apparently this was what Volvo recommended from the fault codes.
Problem still arises now there telling me its an electrical problem.
She will start if you shut everything down and re try.
really at my wits end with this.
Wandering if anybody out there has had similar problems.
LanzaBoy38

Re: electrical problem

Postby Andyroonot » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:58 pm

What is the fault code? It’s rare for one control unit to play up, let alone needing to have two replaced. If you know the serial numbers of the engines that would help as well.

When you say it doesn’t start, does it crank but not fire? Or not crank at all?
Andyroonot

Postby targacurt » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi
Are there any outstanding software updates for the engines?
Kurt
targacurt

Boat: Targa 38

Postby admin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:45 pm

General advice for these types of error is to check every connection that you can. Give them a good clean with some contact cleaner and smear with vaseline before reconnecting.
Don't forget to Join our new Facebook Group.
Follow us on Twitter.
For Stainless Steel letters and Fender Socks visit Smart Marine.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:46 pm

Also worth a posy on ybw.com and Volvopaul on there is usually happy to give advice.
Don't forget to Join our new Facebook Group.
Follow us on Twitter.
For Stainless Steel letters and Fender Socks visit Smart Marine.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Andyroonot » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Difficult to help diagnose remotely without a bit more info. If there’s a fueling issue when cranking for example then it would likely trigger alarms, hence the question regarding what the codes are.

T38’s had a weird issue where one engine would occasionally trigger alarms when cranking, which was solved by a software update; the specific question about that is therefore a good one, and knowing the s/n’s will allow this question to be answered very quickly.

But unfortunately the symptoms given are too broad for anyone to help out without more information or getting onboard themselves
Andyroonot

Postby LanzaBoy38 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks for the reply
The fault codes are
mid 164
psid 218
1/2 fmi 9

Mid 164
Sid 253
2/2 dim 9

The fault sometimes disappears if the ignition is left on for a few minutes
It also says gear engaged however it’s not engaged.

The Volvo engineer who carried out the work is now asking for the wiring diagram for the boat as he feels there could be another problem.

Really confused?
LanzaBoy38

Postby Andyroonot » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:00 am

The fault codes suggest an issue with communication between the PCU and the HCU. As you’ve suggested that the HCU has already been changed it would point more towards the PCU. The latter is also the control unit that activates the gear shift actuator and monitors the gear position, so if you are getting occasional warnings suggesting it is in gear then it could point to an issue with the PCU.

However, I’d suggest that you request the Dealer to check for an install any updates that are available for the whole system (for both engines & EVC systems) and test it afterwards, as it could be something relatively simple like that. My personal experience of control units failing is that they have the fault every time you use them, not occasionally as is being reported here.

If the fault is still happening after a software update then you can swap the PCU from one engine to another to prove it is faulty before committing to a replacement. This will trigger new fault codes as the ‘chassis ID’ will be different for the engine it is fitted to, but you’ll be able to see if the original problem moves across.

Do you know the serial numbers of the engines?
Andyroonot

Return to Fairline Forum