Fire extinguishers for Targa 29 engine bay

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Fire extinguishers for Targa 29 engine bay

Postby Nickrsmith » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:12 am

Hello all, I am looking at replacing the fire extinguishers for a Targa 29 engine bay. There are 2 x 1.5kg units in there at the moment but they are not big enough. Does any one have a solution they could share?
Nickrsmith

Re: Fire extinguishers for Targa 29 engine bay

Postby ms » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:59 pm

I believe that it is now commonly held that two extinguishers are not appropriate, This is because one can fire and not put out the fire, then the second could do the same and both could fail to put out the fire. Thus I believe that a single extinguishers capable of dealing with the cubic capacity of your engine space is advisable. Halon,which was incredible effective, is now a banned substance .
There are 'halon replacement' units (NOT powder) available but you may want to seek advice about something which can deal with the cubic capacity you have.
It will need to be automatic and it will probably need to be fitted inverted (ie nozzle downwards.)
A 2 kg unit will probably handle a space of about 3.5 cu metres.
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Postby Nickrsmith » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:06 am

Thank you for that advice, I am meeting our engineer today so will explore those options, there is a fire extinguisher that is 4.5kg and would do the trick, just need to see if there is enough space in the engine bay to fit it.
Nickrsmith

Postby ms » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:12 am

sorry, too late to get back to you
I hope your engineer was helpful.
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Return to Fairline Forum