Window replacement - Targa 27

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Window replacement - Targa 27

Postby Dostle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:12 pm

we have just purchased a targa 27, 1989, which is in very good condition but in need of a small amount of TLC.

I will be replacing the window which looks out over the bow from the galley area - if anyone has any advice on this it would be very much appreciated !!
Dostle

Re: Window replacement - Targa 27

Postby moresparks » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:09 am

Hi,
What exactly is the problem?
I am interested, as I also have a Targa 27 and thought about replacing that window. However when I made tentative enquiries the cost was starting to get prohibitive. I believe Trend Marine in Norfolk make a lot of the windows for Fairline but they did not have a template for the Targa 27. I am happy to be corrected but I believe the window is toughened glass and “sag bent” to fit. If you wish to proceed you may have to remove the window and send away as a template, bear in mind the size.
There are companies that will refurbish the window like Eagle Windows but I have not had any experience with that company so others may wish to comment.
With mine it’s the seals that are going and regular treatment with Capt. Tolleys Creeping Crack cure works for a time. Some of the seal makers have an instruction leaflet in replacing window seals and I believe there was an article in one of the magazines as a D.I.Y guide so I may go that route.
Good luck and let the forum know how you get on please.
moresparks

Boat: Targa 27

Postby ms » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:11 am

I have a little experience with windows on my Fairline Mirage.
But not replacement.
I had leaks to deal with and was able to re-use everything. Acrylic 'glass' and welded aluminium frames.
I was quoted a little under £800 for re-sealing (not including remove & refit !) and I did my own (100% successful re-seal) for about £75.
Careful removal is important, but re-fitting is essential to the final seal job and I just could not understand the c800 quote (which I thought was outrageous).
I used professional grade stuff and am totally satisfied with the outcome.
It was a one man job, I just needed an extra pair of hands inside the boat (just to hold something in place) for an hour or so when I refitted the frames,

If you want to do a re-seal, and it would help you, I can tell you the whole story with photos and a list of products I used and where I bought them. ..... and what they cost.

BTW, dont confuse a few drips with 'a leak'. Boats get a lot of condensation especially with inside/outside
temperature variations.

Also, I dont know your boat, but Eagle Windows do not work on welded frames (they told me) and their suggestion was that I remove the whole frames and screwed acrylic panels on the outside of the boat, which frankly, I thought was pretty crass and unprofessional solution.
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Postby ms » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:28 am

Just a thought (as I dont know your boat)
If your window is an aluminium frame with a pvc 'herzim' strip covering self tapping screws, then my method may be useful, But if you have another sort of arrangement then I suspect my experiences will be irrelevant.
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Postby moresparks » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:14 am

Hi – Many thanks for your excellent response MS, that’s really useful information.
On mine it IS the aluminium frame with a black pvc “herzim” strip covering the screws. The actual window may well be toughened acrylic but it is curved and not flat, which makes things expensive and only a limited number of suppliers.
Unfortunately renovating the window is half way down on my “to do” list so may have to wait. This year it’s the biennial sterndrive overhaul!!!
moresparks

Boat: Targa 27

Return to Fairline Forum