Corniche 31 Holding tank location and costs

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Corniche 31 Holding tank location and costs

Postby Howard Matthews » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi
I have a 1990 Corniche with the convertible dinette layout with heads opposite. I am contemplating installing a holding tank. Does anyone have experience of this in terms of where to locate and associated costs? I am thinking that the lazarette might be a suitable place to install it.
Any info most welcome, thanks.
Howard
Howard Matthews

Re: Corniche 31 Holding tank location and costs

Postby Targa37! » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi Howard. I had a Corniche with that layout peviously but can't remember the layout well enough to give you specific locations for the tank etc. I am currently in the middle of the same project on my Targa 37. My advice would be that before you do anything plan where all the pipe runs, hull fittings etc will go. Access seems to be the biggest problem for me, in terms of not having to take too much apart to complete the project. I am using a company called Tek Tanks in Alton to supply everthing I need and they are really helpful if you need any advice. They have everything you will need to complete the job. Whilst making the changes I am going to replace the standard loo with a silent fresh water electric flush type. I am estimating the total parts costs to be around £1,500 to £1,750 (including the new loo). Good luck. Jonathan
Just been looking on Tek Tanks site for more parts and noticed they list a specific tank for Corniche to be fitted in Saloon bilge? Guess it may depend what engine layout you have - shaft or outdrives.
Targa37!

Postby Howard Matthews » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi Targa37
Thank you so much for your advice and ideas which are very helpful.
I am aware of Tek Tanks so a conversation with them would seem a useful starting point.
Really appreciate you coming back to me, thanks again.
Howard
Howard Matthews

Postby fusebox » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:07 am

Maybe a bit late, but here's our installation in the lazarette of a Corniche.
Thread in Norwegian, but Google translate could assist if necessary.

https://baatplassen.no/i/topic/91007-septik-tank-i-fairline-corniche-beste-plassering/
fusebox

Boat: Fairline Corniche 31

Postby Howard Matthews » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi Fusebox

Not too late, that's very helpful, thank you. Do you have an idea of the cost of the installation - parts and labour? I haven't translated it yet so apologies if the answer is in the text.

Best regards

Howard
Howard Matthews

Postby fusebox » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:42 am

IIRC, something around 15000NOK (about £1400) all inclusive.

Pretty straight forward plumbing with the smaller black water hose (14 meters worth, we had several macerators, starting in the bowl, so only "slush" coming through). No problem to DIY.

190 liters plastic tank was stock from a norwegian company, can't remember which right now, but could find out if interested.
fusebox

Postby Howard Matthews » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 am

Hi Fuesbox

That's really helpful, thanks again. Where were the macerators located when you say several?

Yours

HOward
Howard Matthews

Postby fusebox » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:03 am

We expanded on the (somewhat) original system, with a 42L tank mounted on the wall, forward of the SB engine (shaft installation, engines below salon). This tank had its own discharge macerator under the bench in the dinette (back-to-back with the mounted tank) which was connected to a through-hull valve.

We modified this by connecting the original outlet to a 1" hose going back to the aft (lazarette) tank through the engine room (on SB side).
The discharge pipe on the aft tank was connected to its own macerator, which pumped it all forward to the original through-hull valve.

So :
Bowl-macerator (electric toilet) -> 42L-tank macerator (midship) -> Main tank macerator (aft) -> Sea cock(midships).

We had to upgrade the macerator on the aft tank from a cheap TMC pump to a (proper, and 3x more expensive) Jabsco macerator, as the TMC macerator was not always able to lift high enough to pump out. The aft macerator was located on top of the tank, so a stronger/better pump was necessary. The midship macerator (TMC) worked fine, as it was mounted low.

I was planning on removing the 42L middle tank, but found the system to be very functional as it was, so didn't bother. It wasnt an intergral part of the installation. Perhaps, if it was removed, the bowl-macerator would have to pump through a lot of pipe to the aft tank, and may not have been up to the task.
fusebox

Postby Howard Matthews » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:21 am

Hi Fusebox

Thank you for a rapid and comprehensive reply, I appreciate that.

You have given me plenty to reflect on now and I am much better informed as a result of your help, thank you very much.

Best regards

Howard
Howard Matthews

Return to Fairline Forum