hour guages

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

hour guages

Postby MERRELLE » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:17 am

TARGA 30 WITH KAD 32
ANYONE CAN ADVISE. THE ENGINE HOUR DIGITAL; READ OUTS CONTAINED IN THE REV COUNTER PODS DOES NOT SHOW,
I WAS TOLD THAT USING A HAIR DRYER TO WARM THEM UP WOULD WORK OR OTHERWISE A VOLVO ENGINEER TO CONNECT TO A COMPUTER SYSTEM TO RE BOOT.

IF VOLVO ENGINEER PROBABLY CHEAPER TO REPLACE THE REV COUNTERS.

ANY IDEAS PLEASE.
MERRELLE

Re: hour guages

Postby Mike Field » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:59 am

MERRELLE wrote:TARGA 30 WITH KAD 32
ANYONE CAN ADVISE. THE ENGINE HOUR DIGITAL; READ OUTS CONTAINED IN THE REV COUNTER PODS DOES NOT SHOW,
I WAS TOLD THAT USING A HAIR DRYER TO WARM THEM UP WOULD WORK OR OTHERWISE A VOLVO ENGINEER TO CONNECT TO A COMPUTER SYSTEM TO RE BOOT.

IF VOLVO ENGINEER PROBABLY CHEAPER TO REPLACE THE REV COUNTERS.

ANY IDEAS PLEASE.

This is a common fault with the hours run digital read out, they fade over the years, if you remove them and place them in a warm airing cupboard for a couple of days, this dries them out, when reconnected they should be back to normal read out status.

If you leave then now and wait till it warms up the reading normally re appear .

Just read the one on Glow Plugs, Think you need to check if you have glow plugs fitted, I don't think they are , but the control panel has the symbol and goes out once started.

Mine used to take a lot of cranking in the winter, summer no problem
Mike F
Mike Field

Boat: Targa 39

LCD readout, engine hours

Postby enterprise » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi Mike,
Kad 32's definiteley have glow plugs, they are not an option, references in the manual refer to petrol as well as diesel varients hence the "if you have them" statements.
It would be almost impossible to start a modern diesel without them.

As to the digital readouts, I think you would be very lucky to get more than 2 seasons out of them before they fade, ours have been in 3 years now and are only readable in the summer, although a service engineer can get the readings while hooked upto the diagnostic port on your engines.
You can add engine hour meters by taking a live feed from the ignition circuit, something I'm looking to do this winter, Maplins supply LCD readouts which are a simple and cost effective solution
enterprise

Boat: Targa 28

Postby novanta » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:14 am

Are you sure about the glow plugs? :roll:

VP 31, 32,41, 42, 43, 44 and KAD 300 have no plugs... Some olders 41's have a glow plug in front of the inlet manifold but plugs in the cylinder head? :?

I agree, there is a glow symbol on the dash but does it lit when you turn the key?

@ Merrelle: do you know what "Caps Lock" is? :wink:
Greetz,

Ronald

www.novanta.nu
novanta

Glow plugs

Postby enterprise » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Glow Plugs?,
I have to admit when starting the kad 32's in winter we always preheat with the glow plugs, but we go through the routine of holding the key at the glow plug point for 30 seconds then turn to start, this is how the dealers demonstrated starting them, it hadn't occured to me there may not be any glow plugs in!

I will investigate next time we are onboard. :?
enterprise

Boat: Targa 28

Postby MERRELLE » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:13 am

HI GENTELMEN.

MANY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP WILL PUT INTO PRACTICE BUT
I CAN CONFIRM 100% THAT THERE ARE NO GLOW PLUGS .

AS FOR CAP LOCK SORRY IT IS NOT BEING RUDE ITS A FACT THAT
I CAN SEE IN CAPITALS EASY , LOWER CASE NOT SO GOOD.

LAST QUESTION HAS ANYONE REMOVED THE FUEL TANK FROM TARGA
30 AS AFTER 10 YEARS THEIR MUST BE QUITE A BIT OF SEDIMENT
AT THE BOTTOM AND AFTER GOING THROUGH SOME CHOP IN THE
SOLENT IT WOULD HAVE STIRRED THINGS UP A BIT.

THANKS ROGER
MERRELLE

Postby ajay » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi Roger,

Hope you are enjoying my old old boat !! You spelt Merelle wrong ;)

The tachometers will dry out if you take them home and keep them in the airing cupboard or on a radiator over winter. Otherwise others recommend taking out and firing a hairdryer into the BACK for 1/2hr.

Resetting is not possible as its moisture due to winter / cold that stops the display showing, in summer it not so much of a problem.

Other option is buy some replacements, then connect them upto 12V battery for the same amount of hours then install in the boat. Volvo sell them ~?250 each but this guy's selling them for ~?40 each...

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208210

The volvo part number is 873688.

You will find many people on the web suggesting the same, ie its a very common known fault and the solution is to dry them out, for example ...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54 ... 25677.html

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/mess ... 2801.shtml
ajay

Boat: Targa 30

Postby MERRELLE » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:54 am

HI AJAY

YES GREAT FAMILY LOVE IT GOOD BLAST TO COWES AND BACK FOR
LUNCH YESTERDAY, BEATS SITTING IN THE YACHT COCKPIT
FREEZING AND GETTING WET.

HAVE ORDERED NEW CANOPY ETC WILL ARRIVE MID JANUARY
HAVING IT LOWERED BY 9 INCHES MAKE IT MORE STREAMLINED.

NOT WORRIED ABOUT HOUR METERS AS KEEPING WRITTEN LOG OF
HOURS ETC ETC.

WILL BE AWAY NOW FOR A FEW DAYS SO WILL CALL WHEN I GET BACK
RE THE BITS AND PEICES.

ROGER.
MERRELLE

Postby Targa37! » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:55 am

Replacing the LCD display for the hour counter is a fairly straightforward job. They fail due to a poor connection on the original units between the foil and the display. I found a company called AK Speedos who sell a pre-wired LCD unit. The pair cost me under £50. They also have a useful video on their website showing how to change them. To replace the pair took me less than an hour. Also, the hour count is held in the unit so the correct hours are recovered.
Targa37!

Postby admin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:00 pm

Thanks for the link. Did it come with the little LCD screen or just the cable? I did mine but sources parts from Sweden at €60 a side.
Don't forget to Join our new Facebook Group.
Follow us on Twitter.
For Stainless Steel letters and Fender Socks visit Smart Marine.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Fairline Forum