Mirage 29 Flag Mast

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Mirage 29 Flag Mast

Postby swrsan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:45 am

Help! I need to replace the flag mast on my Mirage 29. The original is languishing at the bottom of the Thames outside a pub in Sandford :-(

I've tried online chandleries and Fairline themselves, unsuccessfully so far.

Can anyone help, please. . . ?

Thanks

Stuart
swrsan

Boat: Mirage 29

Postby ms » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:40 am

Flag mast ?
Do you mean for you ensign?
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Postby swrsan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:48 am

Hi Martin

I'm not entirely sure of the correct description. . . What I'm after is the chrome or stainless steel "mast" (or stanchion?) which is about 2' high and sits in a 'foot' mounted centrally on top of the roof of the vessel. It has a small platform about 2" square at its top, where a light could be mounted, and a horizontal cross-member 2/3 the way up the "mast" from which pennants could be flown. . .

Thanks

Stuart
swrsan

Postby ms » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:30 am

Understood. I'd be very surprised if you can get one of those off the shelf. But do try Fairline - you may be lucky, otherwise I would approach a stainless steel fabricator and discuss your needs. You will of course need to be able to tell them exactly what you want (perhaps photos and measurements from another Mirage?)
A local marine engineer should be able to point you towards a stainless steel fabricator if you don't know/cant find one.
I suspect that this mast was optional as my Mirage never had one.
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Fairline mast

Postby Jack Tar » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:41 pm

I have exactly what you describe on my 1978 Mirage but it is mounted on the roof above the forward cabin. originally there was just the base but from old catalogues I looked up what was missing. Fairline could not help and by sheer luck 6 months later I picked up the necessary item from Carlton Towers Boat Jumble £25.
I know not much help but suggest you keep looking same way as to have one made would be a lot more.
Incidentally I dont have anything connected to it yet and still not sure what to use it for.
Never too old to learn.
Jack Tar

Boat: Fairline Mirage 29

Re: Mirage 29 Flag Mast

Postby swrsan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:05 pm

A quick update. . .

John Mitchell of Cooney Fabrications (Tel: 01489 885509) was particularly helpful and has fabricated a mast for me, purely from the photograh that I sent to him, for the very reasonable sum of £75:00 + VAT. I have yet to see it in the flesh as it were but from the photograph that he sent to me, it looks brilliant.

Maybe someone will be able to put some more business his way. . .

Stuart
swrsan

Return to Fairline Forum