Cruise to the Wash ... and beyond?

Post a message here if you'd like to meet up with other Fairline motor boat owners.
SiFi

Cruise to the Wash ... and beyond?

Post by SiFi » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:21 am

I'm looking to eventually get out onto the Wash one day from the Great Ouse, has anyone done this trip/route. My particular concern is good places to stop overnight and refuelling my Petrol tank if needed.

Also does anyone know the crusing range (approx) of Mirage 29's once at planing speed?

Recommended places to visit would be good too.

I'm also concerned about fuel consumption and refuelling costs, I've not gone above 7mph yet, but intend to do some capability trials on the upper tidal section near Denver.

I've not ventured out with this boat (Mirage) onto tidal waters yet. I'm looking forward to see what she can do. She's got the usual Twin Volvo AQ145a engines.
Simon

derekmiller45

Post by derekmiller45 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:35 am

Hi Simon.
Thanks for the link to cathedralboatyards (another post).

As you are on the Ouse, have you considered Great Ouse Boating Assoc. (GOBA). Requires membership. Plenty of info on there. People also wanting to do the trip
Also there is a friendly Ouseabout forum (google it). Good source of info and plenty of people willing to put their ideas forward.
Derek.
Definition of BOAT:- Bung On Another Thousand

SiFi

Post by SiFi » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:43 am

Yes I'm a member of GOBA, very recently though, so havn't had time to read all the newsletter or the website. Thank you, I'll have a read.

Regards
Simon

djmaffus

cruising the wash

Post by djmaffus » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:10 pm

hi sifi iam moored at blakeney harbour
if you are planning a trip in this direction i would aid in the refueling
petrol in cans i have cruised my mirage29 with twin 3.0 mercrusers from
york(naburn) to blakeney point i used aprox 180l for 140miles at 10mph average
but i did plane down the humber and other spots until a fuse blew on one engine 45miles from home
there is also wells harbour visitor moorings but no petrol i think
web site wells harbour
hopethis info helps
guy

SiFi

Post by SiFi » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks for this info, very useful. :)

Kind regards
Simon

djmaffus

Post by djmaffus » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:02 pm

SiFi wrote:Thanks for this info, very useful. :)

Kind regards
i know its end of the season
my email gwmatthews@hotmail.com if you want any info
on either blakeney or wells, harbour entry moorings etc
blakeney has no or little facility but is great wells has more and easyer access and great yarmouth and the broads is a tide away aprox 3to 4 hrs cruise
with the price of fuel will have to save hard for next season

SiFi

Post by SiFi » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Your cooperation is appreciated. Thank you
Although I do have a few import nearly-sea trials to do ... I've yet to try my mirage above basic river cruising speed, so I need to see if she behaves at higher and planing speeds and for long lengths of time.
With the above in mind, Wells or picturesque Blakeney seem quite a few trips away and as you mention a few (hundred) pounds worth of fuel too.

I'm now thinking ahead to next season, so I hope to start the sea trials in about April 2012 whenever there's some calm weather.
Simon

SiFi

Post by SiFi » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 pm

In summary
I'm still looking for some cruising company next year for my trip to the Wash, as I won't know my Mirage's endurance at planing speed.

So if anyone would like to join me on a cruise to the Wash around March-May 2012, at least one other boat would be enough, but a fleet of boats would be fun too :wink:
Simon

Nick Porter

Post by Nick Porter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi Simon ? I am interested in the idea of cruising from Ely on the Great Ouse and into the Wash.

I also have a Mirage with AQ145a?s and the availability of fuel is also a concern on any long trip.

I moved to Ely, Cathedral Marina, from the East Coast a couple of years ago.

I used to achieve 28 knots with a clean bottom and a following tide. The speed log and the GPS verified this.

The best I could guess was that each engine was guzzling about 5 gallons plus per hour at that sort of speed, which might help you calculate your cruising range.

Where do you moor in Ely?

Regards

Nick

SiFi

Post by SiFi » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:09 pm

I've PM'd you Nick, thankyou for your reply. It's nice to have contact with other Mirage owners.
Simon