Auto Trim Tabs

OEM / other parts and service suppliers.
  • Advertisement

Auto Trim Tabs

Postby pbodum » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 am

Hi Guys & Gals -

As mentioned in another post - I'm now the proud owner of a Fairline Targa 38 from 2010 and I have a question about auto trim tabs.

The boat I bought have rear mounted trim tabs - however, they are not automatic. I heard that it is possible to buy and mount a sensor/gyro that will adjust the tabs automatically based on speed and movement on board.

Does anyone have experience with this and would be able to recommend a brand?

I found this http://www.mente-marine.com, which seems pretty straight forward. I also found http://www.zipwake.com - however, this seems more like a full system with redesigned flaps etc...

Any assistance is greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks
P
pbodum
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:23 am
Boat: Targa 38

Re: Auto Trim Tabs

Postby Richard.C » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 am

I would recommend you use the boat first and see if you find yourself needing to adjust the tabs much.

I might make one adjustment to my tabs but never continually moving them that would warrant an automatic system. My boat is a phantom 43.
Richard.C
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 am
Boat: Phantom 43

Re: Auto Trim Tabs

Postby admin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:58 am

I'm with Richard C on this. I rarely adjust the trim tabs unless going into a head sea where dropping the bow makes for a drier ride.

I'd ask the original poster why he thinks this is a good idea? Perhaps he's not comfortable with how they work (it is a bit counter intuitive until it's been explained).
Follow us on Twitter.
For Stainless Steel letters and Fender Socks visit Smart Marine.
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:48 pm

Re: Auto Trim Tabs

Postby targacurt » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi,
have a 2012 Targa 38. I have installed the power trim assistant of Volvo Penta its a software. It adjusts the power trim due to the rpm of the engines, but not the trim tabs. It works perfect and I don´t want to miss it. For using the trim tabs I´m in one line with Richard C and Pete.
greetings from bavaria
Kurt
targacurt
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:58 pm
Boat: Targa 38

Re: Auto Trim Tabs

Postby admin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:59 am

pbodum wrote:I found this http://www.mente-marine.com, which seems pretty straight forward. I also found http://www.zipwake.com - however, this seems more like a full system with redesigned flaps etc...


I had a look at the Mente Marine website and video. Looks quite cool but the boat in the picture is way smaller than your T38 and far more likely to require trim adjustments (you won't notice a crew member walking from one side to another on your boat).

As you say the zipwake system incorporates interceptors instead of your existing tabs so that's a totally different kettle of fish.
Follow us on Twitter.
For Stainless Steel letters and Fender Socks visit Smart Marine.
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:48 pm

Re: Auto Trim Tabs

Postby pbodum » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:09 am

Hi Guys -

Richard.C wrote:I would recommend you use the boat first and see if you find yourself needing to adjust the tabs much.


Thank you very much for the feedback. Over the weekend I have also come to the conclusion that I should wait a season before doing any major upgrades, so that I have time to learn more about the boat.

targacurt wrote:Hi,
have a 2012 Targa 38. I have installed the power trim assistant of Volvo Penta its a software. It adjusts the power trim due to the rpm of the engines, but not the trim tabs. It works perfect and I don´t want to miss it.


Thank you for the advice Kurt - I'll look into that when I get a better feeling with the boat. How did you acquire this software?

-P
pbodum
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:23 am
Boat: Targa 38

Re: Auto Trim Tabs

Postby pbodum » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:27 am

admin wrote:
pbodum wrote:I found this http://www.mente-marine.com, which seems pretty straight forward. I also found http://www.zipwake.com - however, this seems more like a full system with redesigned flaps etc...


I had a look at the Mente Marine website and video. Looks quite cool but the boat in the picture is way smaller than your T38 and far more likely to require trim adjustments (you won't notice a crew member walking from one side to another on your boat).

As you say the zipwake system incorporates interceptors instead of your existing tabs so that's a totally different kettle of fish.


Hi Admin -
Yes you are right. The mente marine system is pretty cool however, it seems like it works based on pre-sets and not a self stabilizing (gyro) system. And yes, Zipwake is completely different and not currently what I am looking for.
Thanks,
P
pbodum
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:23 am
Boat: Targa 38

Re: Auto Trim Tabs

Postby targacurt » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi
I asked my lokal volvo dealer and they installed the software. Its one of the EVC features.
Where are you based?
Kurt
targacurt
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:58 pm
Boat: Targa 38

Re: Auto Trim Tabs

Postby pbodum » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:54 pm

targacurt wrote:Hi
I asked my lokal volvo dealer and they installed the software. Its one of the EVC features.
Where are you based?
Kurt


Hi Kurt - Thank you for the research. I'm based in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Just googled the EVC feature and can see that it explains the trim system. Very interesting - thank you!

Btw are you happy with your 2012 Targa 38?

-P
pbodum
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:23 am
Boat: Targa 38

Re: Auto Trim Tabs

Postby targacurt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:37 am

We´re based in Italy and are very happy with our boat. I think: A boat is as good as the mechanics you have are.
We hit the waterline 2012, it´s a 2011 model.
many greetings
Kurt
targacurt
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:58 pm
Boat: Targa 38


Return to Part Suppliers and Services

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

  • Advertisement
cron