Steering cable siezed

Please read.
  • Advertisement

Steering cable siezed

Postby arty21 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:14 am

Hi. As a new owner of a Targa 33 1986 I will need lots of advice and help over the next few months. The boat has been laid up on hardstand for 3 years and is in need of renovation.
I have started the task from the engines and working my way up. After releasing the alternators I have had movement on both crankshafts so a big positive there, but the alts need replacing as with the flexible fuel lines.
I am now waiting for parts and the electrician to view the mess so I am about to tackle the siezed steering wheel/cable/outdrive joint. Not sure which it is. I am going for the cable first and was wondering if anyone knew of a supplier for these cables. It’s an obsolete part on volvos site. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you
John
arty21

Boat: Fairline Targa 33

Re: Steering cable siezed

Postby arty21 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:45 pm

I have released the cable from the drives and the cable is free. The wheel turns ok so it is the drive that is seized anyone have any suggestions on this to help me along. It’s not possible to move the drives by pushing on them so they really are solid. I have sprayed wd40 on what I think are the link pins and hinge pins. It’s dificult to tell without a manual.
Any help appreciated
arty21

Boat: Fairline Targa 33

Return to Say Hello!