Any ideas where my Targa 33`s leak could be comming from

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Any ideas where my Targa 33`s leak could be comming from

Postby Chill » Tue May 23, 2006 8:35 pm

I have just bought a 1990 Targa 33, after a trip out in the Solent in quite rough conditions we noticed the bedding in the aft cabin was damp, on further investigation under the mattress was wet. On removal of mattress the wood at either end was water stained so this is not a new problem. I have looked and can not see any signs of where the water is coming from, on testing the water its salt so its not from the leaking hood. I think it could either be the porthole or from under the rubbing strip. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff Pocock
Chill

Boat: Targa 33

Postby tamarind » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:58 pm

Could be coming in from where the arch is bolted on. They can flex and sealant moves
tamarind

Boat: Fairline Targa 30/33

Postby Chill » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:26 am

tamarind wrote:Could be coming in from where the arch is bolted on. They can flex and sealant moves

Thanks for that, will be investigating with the hose pipe

Geoff
Chill

Postby Dany Blue » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:45 pm

I have the same boat and had the same problem a few weeks ago.
After long investigations I found the solution . It was simply the pipe link to the toilets . It was cuted off under the floor and it was impossible to see the leak . Check this by closing the valve ( cock ?) .

Good luck
Dany Blue

Postby Chill » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:00 pm

Dany Blue wrote:I have the same boat and had the same problem a few weeks ago.
After long investigations I found the solution . It was simply the pipe link to the toilets . It was cuted off under the floor and it was impossible to see the leak . Check this by closing the valve ( cock ?) .

Good luck

Thanks for the info, was it the flushing water pipe leaking? if so from where. Did the pipe have a hole in? how did you cure it?

Thanks Geoff
Chill

Postby Dany Blue » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:30 am

Geoff, it was the evacuation pipe leaking (the big pipe, 5 cm diameter) . The pipe had a crack of 5/7 cm long juste under the toilet plate certainly due to the abrasion with the hull .

The trick was that the crack was located just under the waterline under the floor and so I had a small leak of salt water very difficult to detect .

My advise is simply to replace the pipes , evacuation and flushing or to replace the toilet by a chemical one ( which is now mandatory in France ! ) without any link with the water !

Bye for now

Daniel
Dany Blue

Postby Nick Seabourne » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:04 pm

I have the same boat and had the same baffeling problem. I finally cured it by drilling small drain holes in the lowest point in the outside window frames. I found that the water fills the frames and then overfolws inside. The water was running down into the footwell of the helm position and then into the aft cabin. I have had no problem since Nick Seabourne
Nick Seabourne

Re: Any ideas where my Targa 33`s leak could be comming from

Postby Dave M » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:56 am

Hi, I am in Australia and just purchased the old Targa and facing the same problem, like its bedding need to change. I am not getting the exact size. Is it possible that I buy the normal size bedding and quilt cover and customize them according to its size?
Buy Deco Bedding Online Australia SALE.
Dave M

Postby Chelleon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:43 pm

I had a lot of water coming in from 'somewhere' and it turned out that the port side window drain (Just before the radar arch) was blocked..

It found its way inside when the metal frame and once filled with water and was dripping into the inside of the boat, but the overhang of the roof in the aft cabin was protruding, just enough for the water to run onto that instead of going straight into the bilge area.. This in turn ran down the inside of the aft cabin and soaked the mattresses.. Is was a bugger to figure out, so maybe someone who can't find fault, this may be the cause.
Chelleon

Postby Abbyss » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Check the fixing behind the rubber insert in the rubbing strake, originally fixed by pop rivets, these tend to leak when water gather in the valley, also the comment made regarding the rear window leading into the cockpit can tend to back fill. I increase the hole size to provide better drainage and replace the rubber insert around the surround.
Abbyss

Boat: Fairline Targa 33

Postby Abbyss » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Check the fixing behind the rubber insert in the rubbing strake, originally fixed by pop rivets, these tend to leak when water gather in the valley, also the comment made regarding the rear window leading into the cockpit can tend to back fill. I increase the hole size to provide better drainage and replace the rubber insert around the surround. Also check between the rubbing strake and the hull that the is no bridging with sealant, this can cause a back flow when it rains.
Abbyss

Boat: Fairline Targa 33

Return to Fairline Forum