Raw water flow through engine

The place for Fairline discussions!
Barry C

Raw water flow through engine

Post by Barry C » Sun May 09, 2021 3:54 pm

Volvo Penta TAMD 40 B 165HP Fairline Corniche 31 Had Slight overheating problem last year reduce revs to starboard engine temp back to normal .
Due to put boat back in water next month, remove raw filter top and filter went to add rydlym to intake pipe only took a cup full expected to keep running through, loath to try and unbolt outlet feed a turbo end , possible bolt snap !!! Any help pleae other than trying to remove heat exchangers ??.
Cheers Barry

ms

Re: Raw water flow through engine

Post by ms » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:51 pm

Have you cbecked the water pump?
martin

Barry C

Post by Barry C » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:26 pm

Thanks Martin new impeller fitted ran barnicle through system , launched boat last Sat given a good run temp seems better had leak from raw water filter top no real test . thanks for advice.

Cheers Barry

ms

Post by ms » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:44 am

Barry, dont forget these engines have coolant thermostats like cars and although they usually give sterling service they dont last forever.

I personally find removing pump impellers for winter layup very helpful. Even if undamaged they come out pretty distorted (and less efficient). But the neoprene impeller seems to have a 'memory' and left for a few months in a warm place actually recover their original shape.

When removing these I take the opportunity of getting some anti freeze solution into the heat exchangers for the winter.

I do hope your issue is now resolved .
martin