Help needed on 1979 Faitline Mirage

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Help needed on 1979 Faitline Mirage

Postby alondonboy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Not sure if this is the correct part of the forum to post this but if it isn't apologies and any direction would be appreciated.

My new marina neighbour has just purchased the 1979 Fairline Mirage that has been sitting next to me unused for about 4 years, during the summer. It is in immaculate condition and the story is that the owner died and left it to his nephew who didn't want it. All I can say is the old boy must have adored it. Unfortunately the nephew has now gone of traveling the world without forwarding on any of the paperwork to my friend. It's located in a marina on the tidal part of the Thames, UK, and on Sunday my friend asked me to take her out for a short fun as although he's had the engines running regularly he'd not had her moving and didn't have the confidence to take her out himself. For an old boat that had not been used for a while she went like a dream. Controls a bit stiff and creaky but I guess we'd all be like that after a few years without moving. We moored up briefly in Twickenham for some quick refreshments and whilst I was bring her alongside we lost the port engine (Twin Volvo Pentas), wouldn't start again but I'm guessing this is not a major problem, probably a fuel issue. Traveled back comfortably on the starboard engine and all in all was a rewarding day and my friend was chuffed.

Anyway apologies for the ramble but now for the question. Does anybody have, or know, where I can get a diagram, drawing or information on the helm of the boat? There are many switches on there that we cannot identify and also some irregularities that I'd like to clear up. My friend has little knowledge of using a boat and whilst I'd like to help him as much as I can I want to make sure I am giving him the correct information. Anything on a twin engine 79 model would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and if any of you wonderful people are in London feel free to join up Brentford Boat Club on Facebook :-)

Scott
alondonboy

Re: Help needed on 1979 Faitline Mirage

Postby ms » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:52 pm

If you mean Brentford Cruising Club you might like to speak to one of the members who has a Mirage called
' Lazy 2 '.
A 1979 Mirage is a Mark 1 version with small differences to the Mark 2 (which is what I own).

It is not unusual to find that previous owners have made changes so you might need to experiment a bit.
You likely have a pull switch near each Rev counter which is for instrument lights, There is a left-right toggle switch which activates battery charging gauge (left engine, right engine charging). Oil pressure and charging indicator lights for each engine. Left and right outdrive power lift & lower switch (with warning light).
Rocker switches for Nav lights, anchor light, wipers, bilge blower.

Manuals for this boat are like hens teeth. I have written my own after much trial and error.
martin
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Postby alondonboy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Thank you so much. Since posting I found your previous post with useful links which I have just this minute passed on.

In that it mentions something about the fuel gauge only working from one ignition and now you've just enlightened me about the switches, it not only explains what they do but possibly clears up why the meter was not reading.

It's hard with it not being my boat as I don't feel obliged to poke about as much as I would if it was my own but I'm sure the owner will get stuck in. There is also a small joystick to the front of the helm with a toggle next to it. At first I thought this might be a bow thruster but it's not and I still cannot work out what it is. Possibly retro fitted, maybe for a missing search light or something but can't see anything obvious.

There are 2 boat clubs in Brentford and I know of BCC, will ask around. Again thanks for your help, much appreciated.
alondonboy

Postby ms » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:43 pm

ah yes .. there is a challenge here as, in principle you have to have master power switches on and everything turned on (including ignition) to see what is working and what is not. Then you discover as you turn off ignition etc what is connected to what.
Fuel gauge works with one ignition. steering indicator prob works with the other ignition.
Trim tabs prob need ignition also. (I unused for some time they may not work, or the pump might work but there is no ATF fluid in the reservoir)

Note if something doesn't work (eg trim tabs) it might just be due to a poor earth (a common problem on something that is used rarely).
Also fuses get tarnished, before you start your checkout its a good idea to just rotate the fuse back and forth a bit (without removing it) just to improve the contact.

Much will depend on what successive owners have been up to over the years. The joystick with a switch sounds non standard. Bow thrusters were not fitted as standard and in all honesty with two engines on drives the manoeuvrability is such that a thruster is not an asset.

The fridge is likely to be on a separate circuit so that it does not turn off when the main power is switched off. Its a v good idea to make sure that all 12v power is switched of when leaving the boat for some time (that includes the main battery switches and the domestic power switch below the dashboard - unless someone has moved these).
Gas should always be turned of when leaving the boat - unless temporarily.
Gas and petrol fumes on a boat is a very potent mix.
As a petrol boat its a good idea to ALWAYS use the bilge blower when starting engines. (make sure it works)
If it hasnt been used for years I would try to get some fresh petrol into the fuel tank as petrol doesnt do well standing around in tanks for years and you dont want to suck up any of those old petrol residues into carburettors (especially on tidal water)
The Mirage is a good boat for its modest 29 foot length.
martin
note - you can still buy an electronic ignition conversion kit for theses engine (LUMENITION) which dos wonders for starting and running)
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Postby alondonboy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:54 pm

It's definitely possible the joystick and toggle switch were retro fitted as they are on a separate little plaque towards the front of the helm, just behind the wheel. Will probably need removing and wiring tracing to establish what it is but can't think what you might use it for other than a spotlight or thruster and neither have been fitted. Boat looks like it's just come out of the showroom and got stuck in a time warp. The only thing that looks new on it is some speakers.

I'm forwarding this very useful information on to my friend and will help him construct a user/reference manual. it's both annoying and a shame he hasn't got his yet as I'm sure that would help establish what's original, what's new and what's what, saving many hours of detective work but you really have helped giving us an insight and head start into what could prove laborious.
alondonboy

Return to Fairline Forum