Targa 27

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Targa 27

Postby griffc » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi - Ive just purchased a 1990 Targa 27 and have a couple of outstanding issues:

Damp carpet near rear cabin / steps. Pretty sure this is coming from the water tank - anyone know where the tank is and how to access the plumbing?!

Potential poor earth somewhere: this is an odd one, with the igintion off the port oil temp reads about half way.. drops to zero with ignition on and then works as expected. The arch light doesnt work . it has around 5 volts at the fitting but this raises slowly to around 8 volts if i leave the voltmeter connected. Any pointers on where to start troubleshooting?

Regards

Corrie
griffc

Re: Targa 27

Postby lifelongfairline » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi Corrie.

The Targa 27's I've surveyed have had the tanks in the bow, under the forward portion of the vee berth, this is the same as the Sunfury (previous version of the T27). If the leak is aft, it could be a leak under the galley, running down under the sink / cooker unit, or perhaps a leak from the dashboard area above if the canopy is not perfect.

Ref the electrical issue, check your battery ground connections - batteries, engine earth straps etc. Then also check for any common negative bus bar under the dashboard. Anyone might cause your issue - earthing faults can be a nightmare to locate.

Good luck.
Best Regards
Si
(New here, but on Boat no 20, Fairline no 3, 34 years of boating, 10 years in the business etc).
lifelongfairline

Postby griffc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:46 am

Thanks for the tips Si. I read somewhere that the tank might be under the rear bunk so I'm going to the boat today to take a look - its not a lot of water so I'm guessing just a leaky joint.

Re the electrics I will start with a trailing earth wire back to the battery - should be able to quickly determine if its a bad earth by earthing the oil temp gauge and arch light directly temporarily - I will check out the bus bar too ..

Should be a fun day ..

Corrie
griffc

Postby griffc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:43 pm

An update for anyone interested:

The water tank, pump and accumulator are all under the rear bunk in my boat. The system seems water tight and the damp appears to be condensation - starting on the back wall above the tank. I did notice the neck of the accumulator is broken though - and the rubber bladder was bulging out when under pressure - so new one ordered and a job for the winter!

Didn't start on the electrics - took the boat out for cruise instead - was a lovely autumn sunny day on the river.

Regards

Corrie
griffc

Postby Dostle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi

I have also just purchased a 27, 1989, which has just gone into dry dock for some TLC. the berth window may be an issue for you, I've noticed a slight leak around ours.

just about to replace calorifier, water pumps, bilge pumps and install some Eberspächer heating etc, I have quite a bit of info from the previous owner if you want it !

good luck ! we love ours already only had it 5 weeks !
Dostle

Postby griffc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:01 am

Hi - congrats on your purchase - I’m enjoying mine immensely. Went back yesterday to drain the water down as its coming out for winter next week and the rear bunk was soaking. My assumption of condensation was clearly wrong! The water is appearing from the bottom of the wall on the left but further over than the window - my guess now is rain water draining into the fuel tank compartment and leaking through - be a pain to seal due the giant fuel tank.

I have the engine pdf but any other info would be of interest please.

Fun times ahead....

Corrie
griffc

Return to Fairline Forum