Tamd41 overheating. Heat exchanger

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Tamd41 overheating. Heat exchanger

Postby rjb021080 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:43 pm

At full revs my port engine has been overheating. Reduce it to 2800 and we are good. Very odd. Bite the bullet today and heat exchanger out. Literally half the outlet is blocked! Any recommendations for cleaning these??

rjb021080

Re: Tamd41 overheating. Heat exchanger

Postby Murv » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:16 am

Cut the top off an old fender to make a tall, narrow bucket and use this to soak it in brick cleaner.
Murv

Postby rjb021080 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:46 am

Murv wrote:Cut the top off an old fender to make a tall, narrow bucket and use this to soak it in brick cleaner.

what a marvellous idea!how long do you soak for??
rjb021080

Postby Murv » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:42 pm

Most people will leave it overnight, I just do it until it stops fizzing and looks clean which can take a few hours.
Murv

Postby Ribsta » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:01 am

Hi, sorry but as the heat exchanger is one unit sealed at one end, don’t you simply fill it with the cleaner and leave to soak? Not sure what the cut fender will do?
I have TAMD41B and this is how I did mine.
For the oil cooler, yes it can be this done way.
Regards,
Lee
Ribsta

Boat: Corniche 31

Postby Murv » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:51 am

Bolero wrote:Hi, sorry but as the heat exchanger is one unit sealed at one end, don’t you simply fill it with the cleaner and leave to soak? Not sure what the cut fender will do?
I have TAMD41B and this is how I did mine.
For the oil cooler, yes it can be this done way.
Regards,
Lee

That does sound a lot easier! I assumed the tube stack had been removed hence the fender bucket suggestion.
Also, on my 61's, the housing is aluminium which I wouldn't want hydrochloric acid in contact with but I must admit I don't know if that's the case on the 41.

Cheers,
Chris
Murv

Postby geotechnic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi,

As you are probably aware on the Tamd41s the raw water cooling goes from the pump, through the oil cooler, through the aftercooler, through the gearbox and finally into the heat exchanger before being injected into the exhaust. As the heat exchanger is badly fouled chances are the oil cooler will be the same. I used a product called Rydlyme, removed the raw water pump and the pipe from the heat exchanger to the exhaust, connected some 25mm tubing and circulated the mix with a pond pump and 5 gallon container as per their instructions. I left this circulating for a couple of hours to dissolve the fouling, reversing the flow half way. Advantage of this is apart from the raw water pump you can leave the rest of the engine intact. I took the end cover off of the heat exchanger after this and all the tubes were completely clear, engine now runs at a steady 85 degrees at cruising speed(32-3300 rpm). A gallon will do the job as you can use the same mixture on both engines
geotechnic

Boat: Fairline Corniche

Return to Fairline Forum