holiday mk111

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

holiday mk111

Postby grahamroy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Can anyone advise how I tighten or get to the fixing points of the front Grab Rail on a Holiday mk111

Thanks Graham
grahamroy

Re: holiday mk111

Postby Murv » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi Graham, there are some wooden plugs in the rail, if you flip those out the screws are underneath.
Unfortunately, they screw into what appears to be wood which is glassed in place.
I had to replace my rails, and spent ages trying to find out how to remove them as the screws just span in the (now rotted) wood.

In the end, I imported some stainless steel toggle bolts from the USA as there were none available in the UK, believe it or not.
Probably not an ideal fix, but they did the job and seemed sturdy enough.

Good luck!
Murv

Postby grahamroy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:26 am

Thank you for getting back to me

No easy way to tighten the rail then I guess I either put up with it being loose or make things even worse If I do decide to have a go can you advise the company you got the toggles from

Graham
grahamroy

Postby Murv » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:16 pm

Really sorry Graham, I can't remember. I had a look through my old emails, but can't find anything on a search.
I know I just googled for stainless steel toggle bolts, and in the end it was only somewhere in the states that could supply them.
There could very well be a UK supplier now of course, and I may have gone a bit OTT by wanting stainless whereas galvanised may have been fine.

If it's of interest, this is the advice I got when I asked on another forum for advice for a proper repair but, to be perfectly honest, I wasn't prepared to go to that much effort and cause that much damage to the deckhead (I'm not great at DIY!) http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... highlight=

You may be lucky and find that yours just tighten up. In may case, I think that water had seeped in through the screw holes and rotted the wood inside the GRP.

Once I'd fitted the toggle bolts and put CT1 under the new timber, they were certainly sturdy enough for general use. I've no idea how strong they'd be if you were hanging on to them for your life in a force 7, but then that front deck is not a great place to be in a force 7 anyway!
Murv

Postby grahamroy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks again for all the advice

I haven't had the boat long so still trying to find my way around it This was just one of the things that was irritating me

When I go and check it out the weekend (subject to weather) I may have to consider if I am being a bit paranoid with regard to how much movement there is As you say certainly will not be venturing out in a force 7 in fact it has to be a nice calm day.

Would love to be able to make a comparison with an identical boat

Graham
grahamroy

Postby Murv » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:22 am

You're welcome, hope it's of some help!

I think they should really be solidly fixed, or at least secure enough that they won't pull out. But, with the layout of the holiday, they're not the sort of rails where you're really likely to prevent yourself falling in with them as you have to be bent over the coachroof to get to them so probably not as critical as the side rails for example.
Murv

Return to Fairline Forum