Sedan 36 impeller change...the age old question!

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Sedan 36 impeller change...the age old question!

Postby gsodriscoll » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:49 am

Hi guys,

Going through my winter jobs list and one which I have avoided for long enough is changing out the raw water impellers. I see varying discussions. Which way is easier, quicker and less likely to cause a barrage of swear words from the engine bay....making hatches or just removing the pumps completely and replacing the impellers in the comfort of my garage?

I've also seen discussions about changing the port side impeller, surely the more difficult one is the stbd side unless you have hands the size of a ten year olds and a double jointed elbow???

Any advice/picture, words of encouragement welcome...

Gary
gsodriscoll

Boat: Fairline sedan 36

Re: Sedan 36 impeller change...the age old question!

Postby farsco » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:47 pm

The easiest way long term is to make hatches.

The only other way I thought of was to remove the header tank

Starboard one defo has more access in front of the engine. Port one is very tight up against the bulkhead.

Hatch for the Port (under the second step down) and header off for the starboard?
farsco

Postby gsodriscoll » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm

Hello Farsco,

Many thanks for the reply, out of interest, have you done this already?

Gary
gsodriscoll

Postby farsco » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 am

I’ve done 3 hatches.

2 on the Port engine (one under the steps for impeller and one lower down in the galley area for belt changes, alternator access etc.

1 large on starboard side behind the side cabin draw unit between the beds.

I kept the cut out and mounted a larger piece of stainless over the top which is then screwed back in place. Be super careful as you will be working near fuel lines and cables. I used a vibrating plunge cutter to get through the wood. I could then “feel” the insulation on the engine room side and went no further

It took ages and was pretty scary!!

If I was doing it again, I would try to use a router or similar set to the correct depth so I knew I couldn’t go to far through.
farsco

Postby gsodriscoll » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Thank you farsco for the information.

I'm going to be a real pain now ands ask is it possible to get some pictures? No point re-inventing the wheel if there's no need too. I've had the boat so far for 3 years and access to the front of the engines is the only major negative I can find. Bringing the boat 1000miles from the south cost to the north of Scotland in poor weather proved the boat to be bullet proof and a good sea boat, watching waves roll over the bow going through Bardsey sound is not an experience I ever want to go through again! There is something to be said about the strength and sturdy construction of a "more mature" boat...

Many thanks again

Gary
gsodriscoll

Postby farsco » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:55 pm

They certainly are built like a brick **** house!

Pictures might be tricky as I have a bit to remove and only did impellers a few months ago.

Leave it with me.

I was out a few days back. 26.5 knots at 2800 revs. Feels fast in an 11 ton boat :)
farsco

Postby gsodriscoll » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Many thanks Farsco,

Very much appreciated!

Thank you again.

Gary
gsodriscoll

Return to Fairline Forum