Targa 43 Bow thruster

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Targa 43 Bow thruster

Postby Conrad Levy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi all

I'm new to this forum so first of all. Hi

I have a Fairline Targa 43, yr 2000 which I'm finding is a great boat. Can anyone give me advice on the bow thruster which to say is insipid is an understatement. Any side wind or current and its useless. Its not much better with no wind. The boats been out the water to be antifouled and the bow thruster prop looked fine. I would guess its the original thruster and prop that came with the boat from new.

Are these bow thrusters this bad or is there a sensible upgrade that can be done. I've also noticed the pump can't be easily accessed as its under the carpet and floor of the bow cabin with no obvious inspection hole. I'd rather not rip this up.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks
Conrad Levy

Re: Targa 43 Bow thruster

Postby admin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:33 pm

My Targa 34 has an uprated prop for the bow-thruster. I wonder if that's something worth investigating?

Also, does it have a dedicated battery?
Follow us on Twitter.
For Stainless Steel letters and Fender Socks visit Smart Marine.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Conrad Levy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:47 am

All the batteries have been replaced, so i don't think its that.

I'll look into the upgraded prop. thanks
Conrad Levy

Postby admin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:44 pm

My point is that to get enough power to the bow thruster it may need a dedicated battery in the bow next to it.
Follow us on Twitter.
For Stainless Steel letters and Fender Socks visit Smart Marine.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Utopia » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:14 am

The early T43's only has 55kfg bow thrusters which to be fair is not adequate, as you've experienced. If the tunnel is big enough, you can upgrade to a 75 or 85kfg thruster from vetus. To access it, it's normally under the bed. Just lift the mattress
Utopia

Postby Conrad Levy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:03 pm

Utopia wrote:The early T43's only has 55kfg bow thrusters which to be fair is not adequate, as you've experienced. If the tunnel is big enough, you can upgrade to a 75 or 85kfg thruster from vetus. To access it, it's normally under the bed. Just lift the mattress

Thanks for the reply Utopia. Its not accessed from under the bed as that's where the forward air conditioning unit is. The refill reservoir for the pump is there but the pump itself appears to be a couple of feet further back into the boat. I can see it just not access it. I'll look into the vetus option, thanks
Conrad Levy

Return to Fairline Forum