Targa 47 water pump doesn't works

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Targa 47 water pump doesn't works

Postby Toha » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi, everybody!
This is my problem. I turned the switch of water system on the panel and nothing happened. I measured the voltage on the pump and it showed zero. Can anybody gives me an electric scheme of fresh water system or advice where and what to check? Thanks in advance!
Toha

Re: Targa 47 water pump doesn't works

Postby Bluetooth » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:10 pm

What's the history ? Has it worked for you previously? What's changed?
Simon
Targa 40
Bluetooth

Boat: Targa 40

Postby Toha » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:01 pm

Nothing changed. Previously it worked. What do i have to check?
Toha

Postby Bluetooth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Other than rocker switch on control panel I don't think I have separate isolator on my targa.
Maybe take panel off and check wires not come loose but cant think why

Maybe need a sparky or someone with knowledge to test wires and the pump with different electric supply to confirm its still operational
Simon
Targa 40
Bluetooth

Postby Gyula Huszar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:56 am

I had the water pressure quit for me too after a particularly bouncy ride in the Salish Sea. In the case of my boat the switches on the dash are also circuit breakers, and the water pressure switch worked properly to break the circuit because the rough ride pinched the wires to the pump underneath the head between the hull and the head floor. The 2.5 mm wide wire was squished to maybe 17 mm wide, flat as a pancake. It contacted the similarly squished ground wire and the circuit breaker did its job every time I switched it on.
I have a device called a 'snap-on Vantage' onboard so that I can look at all things electrical. I set it to 0-14 dc volts and put it on a histograph (turned the digital readings into a line). Whenever I switched the water pressure on the output side of the switch/breaker spiked to nearly 9 volts and immediately dropped to 0. This happened in 1/20,000th of a second (measured). That was the circuit breaker kicking open, to prevent the short from receiving power. I then measured resistance by measuring it between the output side of the breaker and ground. It read 0 ohms, which defines a short circuit. It should have read the resistance of the electric pump motor plus any extra resistance through the wiring. I found the wire problem by following the wire to its terminus. Behind the switch panel, down under the galley floor, behind the cupboard under the sink (the whole cupboard came out of the fibreglass, allowing me visual and working access) until I could reach along the head's floor underneath and feel the bad wire.

I have a device called a 'short finder', which requires you to attach the machine to the offending wire and to follow it along with a wand that picks up the signal generated by the machine through the wire. With this device I can run the wand along any wire bundle and know whether or not the wire in question is running through that bundle. It's invaluable when wiring disappears into confined spaces and emerges elsewhere where one can see it again. Wire colours can change along their run, for whatever reason, making visual IDs difficult if not impossible.
Gyula Huszar

Postby Bluetooth » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:28 pm

well that's impressive kit - at a price !
Simon
Targa 40
Bluetooth

Return to Fairline Forum