boat history

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

boat history

Postby capt-pubwatch » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:44 pm

I have just taken delivery of 1986 Carrera, Lola Bell. Previously named, Steruth.
It looks like a previous owner had started a very good re-fit, but ran out of steam.
I suspect it was then bought 'at the right price' by the marina that I bought it from.

They have completed the fit to an acceptable (not high) standard and I bought it,
again 'at the right price'.
I believe it came from a southern or eastern waterway.

Can any one tell me any history of the boat? :D :?:
capt-pubwatch

Re: boat history

Postby TANGO » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi, I did reply to your post in the say hello forum. I am afraid that I cannot help with any info about your LOLA BELL, but did think the photos looked very nice. I did ask Joanne to give you my phone details(she forgot) as I would have liked to have seen the revisions made to your boat as I am sorting out an older Carrera. I was impressed by the new cabin door and hatch, also the lighter furniture. Good luck with your lovely new boat. Geoff.
TANGO

Postby capt-pubwatch » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:41 am

Hi geoff.(tango)
I can't really tell you about the mods, cos I don't know what the boat was like originally.
There is very nice teak style decking in the social area. The cabin door you have seen.
I have moved the wine cooler ( It doubles as a fridge) into the cupboard below to give room for a microwave , toaster and kettle on the galley surface. There is no gas (good!) so I have a 2k inverter generator, which will run everything when away from the marina (but not all at the same time) Anything I want to cook can be done in the microwave and a kitchen torch will finish off any 'browning'. The original shower has been removed as there are plenty of showers ashore which cuts down condensation problems and I have an electric de-humidifier. All the upholstery has been replaced with vynal I guess within the last year or so. I have had the river screw replaced with a smaller higher pitch (It remains to be seen what the eventual speed will be). There is only my wife and I normally, so we have removed the mattress from under the skipper's seat (it was dead grotty anyway) and it will be a very handy storage area with shelving. I have bought strip LED's (10 mtres) on e-bay which are self adhesive. They will go around the front screen and over the underside of the radar arch.
There was little in the way of fenders, so I will buy a new set. I have already fitted a strip type bow fender
which I think looks a lot neater than the traditional 'cushion'.
capt-pubwatch

Postby TANGO » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:55 am

Hi, I am glad to hear that you are pleased with your new boat. Where are you based and where do you intend to use LOLA BELL, sea use I imagine from your comments about the prop. I bought a Carrera brand new in 1985 that was fitted with a 5.0 v8 petrol and in good conditions would show about 30kts (log speed - no GPS back then!!!!), so your 5.7 should fly. I too have removed the gas installation and have just gone with a Dometic (was Optimus) spirit 2 burner hob. I agree with your thoughts about the shower, and think that the dehumidifier is a good idea, but does that mean that you intend to keep the boat in a marina (shore power)? Being a couple of aged shorties we find cabin access difficult (hence my interest in your door/hatch cover) so I have revised the step spacing down into the cabin and added an extra step at the bottom, coming out as far as the edge of the "pizza oven" opening. Good luck with LB and enjoy the rest of this season, and hopefully many more. Geoff.
TANGO

Postby capt-pubwatch » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Well, Geoff
Yes I would like to venture off shore from Hull, but haven't much time at the moment. I will have to do an inshore pilots course first as I know nothing about navigation. I suspect the boat will be about as quick as yours.
Yes the entrance to the cabin is a little awkward, but OK. Away from shore everything electrical can be handled by the 2k inverter generator, but I can only run the microwave, kettle and toaster on their own. The cabin heater is 700w, so will run with the TV , dehumidifier and kettle (c700w camping type). let's face it, there's no need to run a dehumidifier 24/7. Lola Bell is moored at King's marina, Newark. Where are you and what is your boat called (in case I come across you).....Regards, Alb
capt-pubwatch

Postby TANGO » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:41 am

Hi Alb. I would think that your 5.7 is likely to have about 50hp more than my 5.0 had. I sold that boat about 1988ish to finance a house build/restoration. I know what you mean about lack of time - I am retired and just do not know how I ever had time to go to work! A power boat/navigation course is an excellent idea. It sounds like you have your 240v appliances/electrics well in hand, please ensure that you are not breathing any toxic exhaust fumes, easy enough when moored up on the river with the generator on land. but not so easy at sea/anchor. You do not need to dehumidify all the time and having a couple of those cheap devices with silica gel crystals helps quite a with no power use at all.I actually have 3 Carreras (don't ask, that's another story} in various states of disrepair in an attempt to relive my old boating days!!! The boat that I am hoping to "launch soon is an old and a bit scruffy non radar arch boat called Mistral. It will be going on to the river Nene at Peterborough as soon as I am able to arrange that. We do visit Newark sometimes so will keep an eye open for LB as I would still like to have closer look at your cabin door etc at some stage. Geoff.
TANGO

Postby capt-pubwatch » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:30 pm

let me know if you intend to visit Newark then, Geoff.
I don't know anything about the door as it is as I bought it.
capt-pubwatch

Postby TANGO » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:18 pm

Thanks, will do. I only want to look at the door/hatch as i think it will be an improvement. If my shoulder catches the hatch spring, the hatches drops like a stone and hits my head - OUCH. Geoff.
TANGO

Re: after winterising-

Postby capt-pubwatch » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:01 pm

I had some work done at my local yard. The mechanic brought the boat back to my marina and the 'winterised' it, draining the water from the engine.
When I run the engine this spring, will it automatically re-fill with cooling water or do I have to prime it in some way?

Also, I emptied the fresh (domestic) water tank, but now water will not come through after re-filling the tank.

Any Ideas?
capt-pubwatch

Postby Bluetooth » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:51 pm

First I would check with the mechanic exactly what he did. Then work out whether you need to service leg and/or engine and if bellows need changing.

Re domestic water. When you turn tap on can you hear the pump going ? If not then check the electric supply. If it is pumping then you have a blockage somewhere. When I had my Fairline Sprint there used to be a small pull handle under the sink to turn on in addition to electric switch. I presume it worked ok last year ?
Simon
Targa 40
Bluetooth

Boat: Targa 40

Postby capt-pubwatch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks for the info.
I checked with the mechanic and the engine is now up and running beautifully.
It seems the pump is u/s. so got to replace it.
Apart from that, all ready now for this season.
If any one passing thro' Newark, let me know in case I am there.

Have a good season every one. :D
capt-pubwatch

Re: weed hatch???-Lola Bell (nee steruth)

Postby capt-pubwatch » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm not very bright regarding mechanical stuff!
I know that my Carrera uses raw water for engine cooling, so there should be a weed hatch

Is there one? if so where is it?
Can any one help please
capt-pubwatch

Postby Bluetooth » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Raw water for cooling is drawn through the leg - you may hear of concern with overheating and having a plastic bag around the leg which then stops the water intake and overheating. Check for weed by having a swim and clean with softish brush although anti foul should do the job. And watch your head under bathing platform - ask me how I know !! ouch !!
Simon
Targa 40
Bluetooth

Boat: Targa 40

Return to Fairline Forum