servicing outdrives

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

servicing outdrives

Postby dodgey 33 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:57 pm

can someone please advise me as to the likely cost of servicing volvo 290 duoprops on a 1985 targa 33 please? :)
dodgey 33

Re: servicing outdrives

Postby Jonathan Seamons » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:21 am

Hi Dodgey
We budget £1000 per year to service both our out drives , both engines and winterization. Hope that helps.
Fairline Carerra with AQ171C
Jonathan
Jonathan Seamons

Postby ms » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:58 pm

On the River Thames, for example, I would allow £2,000 to include lift out and re-launch, service both drives with genuine Volvo parts assuming that to be new bellows and oil. If there are seals to be replaced then that would be extra.
I mention Thames as its prob one of the most expensive areas for marine engineers.

Make sure the props are removed and any fishing line is removed.
You need to make sure that the bearing in the bell housing is well greased (engineers often treat this as an owner responsibility) ... greasing point is inside the engine compartment on the bell housing (behind the engine). There are also grease points on the steering swivels, also inside the engine compartment that engineers 'forget'.

Antifoul yourself will cost about £100ish in paint plus some brushes/rollers/masking tape etc

Distilled vinegar (the clear stuff) is brilliant for cleaning the hull and removing limescale and will cost you less than 50pence a bottle (you prob need 3 bottles and a couple of non scratch scourers) , then you need a £25 bottle of GRP polish to do the hull.
If you add some high UV car polish afterwards the high shine will last much longer.
Meguiars Ulimate quick wax works well and is very easy to use (spray on , polish off)

That said, everyone will have their own idea what is best method
This is not the best approach ... its just what I do on my 1981 hull....!!
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Postby dodgey 33 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 am

many thanks,
dodgey 33

Return to Fairline Forum