Help with Corniche cutless bearings!

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Help with Corniche cutless bearings!

Postby gazzarose » Mon May 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi guys,

Had a bit of a disaster a couple of weekends ago. We were taking my fathers boat from Cardiff to Pembrokshire ready for another summer, and while passing Swansea about 6 miles out, one of the engine mounts decided to part company with the engine, which in turn sheared the 4 shaft bolts and 2 of the stern glands bolts. We had a slight leak but we were towed into Swansea by Mumbles RNLI and 'Grace' is now sitting on blocks in Swansea marina yard. The only plus side is I work in a dealer in Swansea marina so its nice and easy for doing work after work. Weve got everything stripped out and started putting things back together, and while the shaft is out we're going to replace the bearings. I've changed a few bearings over the years, but they've always been ones that you can get to both sides, but the Corniche ones seem to be pushed into the p bracket from the aft end and stop at a lip inside the bracket. Any ideas on how to get it out as a puller probably won't work with only the rubber to get hold of. Also I don't suppose anyone has got the sizes to hand so we can get everything ordered in the next couple of days ready for when we get the old ones out.

Cheers

Gareth
gazzarose

Re: Help with Corniche cutless bearings!

Postby gazzarose » Wed May 04, 2016 7:35 pm

UPDATE!

Went to the boat thus evening armed with an assortment of pullers, threaded bar and lumps of metal and it's out.

From the front of the p brackethttp://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DIET8UI you could just see a lip of about 1mm of the bearing. I ground down and old wheel bearing inner race until it was a snuggish fit in the p bracket and sat that against the lip. I then used a socket to space it out then used a three-legged puller around the p bracket and against the socket. I then loosened the grub screws, turned a spanner on the puller and with a bit of a crack it started moving and easily wound all the way out.

For future reference if anyone needs it the outside diameter of the bearing is 2" and about 6" long (I forgot to measure the length before me wrapped up so my dad is measuring it tomorrow before he orders it).
gazzarose

Re: Help with Corniche cutless bearings!

Postby superheat6k » Wed May 04, 2016 9:19 pm

Whilst you have the shaft out inspect the upper cutlass bearing. Changing it now is a lot easier now the shaft is out. On my Turbo 36 these were half length lower bearings.
Failed Yachtie !!!
superheat6k

Boat: Fairline Turbo 36

Return to Fairline Forum