Headlining Targa 33

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Headlining Targa 33

Postby fairplay33 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Hi all.

Lying in the forward bunk of our 1989 Targa 33 "Fairplay" this morning, after being ashore for the winter, I discovered the headlinings are now sagging. Inevitably the vinyl has come detached from the backing foam as it has in other areas of the boat.

Can anyone help in suggesting how I remove the headlining panels to re-cover them?

All or any fixings seem to be invisible, the Hatch curtain tracks could conceal fixings. There are two 90 degree mouldings between deck and hull side which also have curtain tracks and then two more "fillers" which have visible fixings but I don't think removing all this will help?

Any input gratefully appreciated

Many thanks

"Fairplay"

Cheers
fairplay33

Re: Headlining Targa 33

Postby Magician » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:07 pm

:) Hi Fairplay,

You have discovered a problem that many other boats suffer from and headlinings can be a real chore to sort out. If you get to the stage where you remove the headlining then you are met with all of the degraded foam and backing material; not good at all. My 1990 had 'slack' headlinings in the forward cabin and the midships bedroom/cabin, which I pointed out to the broker. As it was one of their stock boats they got there interior man to have a look. He has installed on either side of the headlining where it meets the side trim some neat stretcher strips that resemble small plastic cable trunking. In so far as how he did the job I can only imagine that he had a helper smooth the lining towards the edges and then screwed up the trunking. It certainly worked and although the lining is not as Fairline intended it is acceptable to my tastes and I'm a 'fussy bugger'.
There is a picture of another 30/33 Tri-cab on Google Images that clearly shows a headlining fixed by many capped trim screws (like number plate screw fixings) I think it makes the looks very 70's/80's pub interior :roll:
The alternative that I had considered (but have not yet done...not needed yet, but i like to have more than one arrow in my quiver) is to remove the lights and using a longish tube attached to an aerosol contact adhesive spray and squirt the adhesive around between the underside of the roof and the topside of the lining then using a 9 inch paint roller smooth the lining back into contact with the roof. You will not have the foam to give a soft feel finish as it has degraded but the lining will be stuck and not hanging down. Some may say this sounds like a bodge but it was stuck up originally with glue so who is the bodger. The Tri-cab Targa is a great boat and really comfy, I have come from a Princess Flybridge to the Targa and have not regretted the change.
As far as I can make out at manufacture the lining goes in and then the cupboards are fitted so the lining is between any woodwork making removal a real chore.
You might get some useful info from some of the coach trimmers that advertise, or go to one and sound them out for info 8) Good luck
Magician

Boat: Targa 30/33 Tri-Cab

Postby fairplay33 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi Magician

Really sorry not to have seen this before now. I have tried taking the lights out and spraying adhesive around but I couldn't get it to work. Quiet like the Stretcher idea which I will look at in more detail.

Cheers
fairplay33

Postby Abbyss » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:26 pm

If you have a fillet in between the headlining, I had to cut the vinyl to access the screws that hold up the boards. I had to renew my head lining it in possible to reapply adhesive as the foam back I gotta has failed and delaminates from the vinyl and the board.
Abbyss

Boat: Fairline Targa 33

Return to Fairline Forum