Unknown Equipment

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Unknown Equipment

Postby KeithH » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi All, I have a 1984 Fairline 40. I have a few items not working and a piece of equipment that I cannot identify. Located beneath the twin berth just fwd of midships (see pictures). I would guess it is giro? / depth sounder / log (though no through hull fixings). I believe it is linked to the depth gauge and speed log on the the flydeck; but don't know and don't want to rip them out without knowing that it is not something simple at fault.
Any help appreciated; secondary issue; do original boat manuals have all the equipment fitted? If so does anyone know where I could get one?
Thanks.
Attachments
BoatEquip.jpg
BoatEquip2.jpg
KeithH

Re: Unknown Equipment

Postby Itspaul » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:58 am

Hi there fairly certain that's a compass for your autopilot :D
Itspaul

Postby superheat6k » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:02 pm

Looks a lot more complicated than a fluxgate compass for the auto helm system.

It might be a 'rate gyro' - used by the auto helm to assess turning rate.
Failed Yachtie !!!
superheat6k

Boat: Fairline Turbo 36

Postby jfm » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Is Cetrek branded so is part of autopilot. Fluxgate or rate gyro or both

Manuals were basic and don't list all equipment - even now they don't on new boats, because designs evolve a little boat-by-boat and customers order custom equipment that doesn't get manualised. I wouldn't waste your time trying to track one down
jfm

Boat: ph42, sq58, sq58, sq78, now sq78HT

Postby KeithH » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:30 am

Thank you three for your replies :) ; sounds likely and I believe the system is still functional, though I have not had reasonable opportunity to test it as I am on a canal. I will prioritize it.
I did think giro but the two white plastic bolts appear to hold it steady; the unit looks like it wants to move as a giro would but why would it be held? I thought about transport but to remove the cover etc for transporting seems unlikely considering its location; unless it has always been like that because no one knew what to do with it. Wish I had more data; I can do loads with manuals, diagrams and circuits!
My problem is that I really don't know what the previous owner/s knew or have done to the system.
Thanks again guys.
KeithH

Postby jfm » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:09 pm

It's likely a rate gyro or a fluxgate compass. If the latter, it will make your helm instruments show the boat's heading. Put a big magnet next to it, and if the heading as displayed changes, it's a fluxgate not a rate gyro, and it's working nicely
jfm

Boat: ph42, sq58, sq58, sq78, now sq78HT

Return to Fairline Forum