Fairline 36 Turbo - Fishtail Exhausts

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Re: Fairline 36 Turbo - Fishtail Exhausts

Postby Murv » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:28 am

Hi Carole, both of mine are badly split but they're still hanging in there!
I've put some CT1 sealant around the splits (not sure if it's helping or not) but it's not a permanent repair.
When I was researching this issue previously, this supplier came up http://www.elkinsboatyard.co.uk/ Now, I can't remember if they were the original manufacturer, or a source for replacements but I made a note of them at the time as a possible source for spares.
I've never contacted them, I'm not going to worry about mine now until the boat comes out of the water next year but if you don't get any leads, it may be worth trying them.
Be good to know how you get on, mine certainly aren't going to last forever!

Chris
Murv

Postby Severn » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Sorry to drag up an old thread, I have been looking for a replacement myself. I read on marinepartseurope.com that volvo simply called it a silencer and that it is now obsolete.

Did anyone find a suitable replacement and for those who cut them off what are the noise levels like with no additional silencer fitted on the TMAD61a's?
Severn

Boat: Fairline Turbo36

Postby Murv » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 am

Personally, no I didn't.
Did notice on lift-out a couple of months ago that the split the other side had got a fair bit worse.
What I did this time was to seal them properly with CT1.
I abraded the area very thoroughly with a wire brush on a drill, then cleaned with solvent, then added a thick bead of CT1 and smoothed it in, and around, the cracks.
Just returned from a European cruise, including a short stint in a heavy sea, and the repairs are still solid so I'm hopeful.

Regarding the nose level, in that same heavy sea which lifted the exhaust outlets completely clear of the water on occassions, the bark was really quite loud and although it sounded good, I think it could get wearing on a long run.
Maybe easier to fit silencers in-line if removing them completely, or just see if the noise is acceptable first?
Murv

Postby Severn » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:12 am

My starboard one was hanging off so repaired in a similar fashion and to give it a bit more stability a brace was fitted to the bathing platform but after a two week trip around the Bristol Channel its now hanging off again. I have tried a few companies for a replacement with no joy. I am having her lifted out in a few weeks time to check the prop due to a bit of vibration and I am going to go with cutting them both off and trialling it. I'll measure the size of the outlets while she is out so I can get some stainless steel outlets made. If the noise is not too bad/annoying I'll just replace the transom exhaust outlets if they are annoying I'll fit some inline silencers at the same time. There is a Fairline sedan in our marina with the same engines and I believe his exhausts are straight out and that doesn't sound too bad but then I am not sat on it for hours listening to them.
Thank you for the reply its greatly appreciated.
Severn

Boat: Fairline Turbo36

Postby Murv » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:29 am

Good luck, I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I think this will become a bit of an issue for all of us T36 owners!
Murv

Previous

Return to Fairline Forum