Corniche packing gland

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Corniche packing gland

Postby ColinK » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Hello,
Wondered if anyone knows this one? My boat has been very lightly used by its previous owners and she has only done 600 hrs. I am giving her a few longer runs I think and we intent to go from Ipswich around to the South West (as far as we can get in the kids hols) in the Summer. Each time I have done a run I have had to tighten the packing glands up to stop minor leaks. Not sure if this is normal or whether the packing is needing replacement. (Only about half an inch left) i will get some in stock just in case. Having a good look I think in the past someone has tightened it unevenly as the plate was not initially tightened equally.

I cannot find the spec for the packing size so wondered if anyone is in the know?

Cheer, Colin.
ColinK

Boat: Corniche

Re: Corniche packing gland

Postby Gerry W » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:38 pm

I recently replaced the packing in my stern glands as the old stuff had gone hard. I got 6mm ptfe from asap and managed to get six turns in each gland you should get a drip now and then when the shaft is turning.
Gerry W

Postby superheat6k » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:32 pm

If you are going to do serious mileage then installing PSS Seals could be considered, in which case tackling the cutlass bearings at the same time should also be considered.

I have a spec for doing this on the Turbo 36. A pig of a job, but PSS do not leak at all.

On mine the PSS mount to the old gland packing top hat, which is installed reversed, with the seal mounted to the straight spigot.
Failed Yachtie !!!
superheat6k

Boat: Fairline Turbo 36

Postby ColinK » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 pm

Hello,
Thanks for the replies. Yes come winter refit I will look into something better and peek at your blog. Time is marching along now and I will bash away with what I have got and perhaps renew the current packing/keep some in stock.
Having real problems getting my injector pump serviced and as promised I will report back when its done and back insitu suffice to say I have had a real hassle which will curl your hair!!!
On board for a night tomorrow tyen two days iver the bank holiday when junior(8 year old) and myself intend to polish the fuel in the port tank and clean it. Oooo he is sooooo lucky ha ha

All the best, Col.
ColinK

Boat: Corniche

Postby talltim » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:11 pm

Colin

I used Gore Tex 6mm from USA

Work well once settled in but do be sure follow instructions and not to overtighten at first

https://www.emarineinc.com/categories/G ... t-Packing/
talltim

Postby superheat6k » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:05 pm

Colin

This is the instructional I wrote up for replacing the shaft seals on the Turbo 36.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14qiwfeq0s5th ... t.pdf?dl=0
Failed Yachtie !!!
superheat6k

Boat: Fairline Turbo 36

Return to Fairline Forum