Holding Tank installation - Mirage 29

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Holding Tank installation - Mirage 29

Postby dtwilson » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:18 am

Hi all,

I've just found out the vessel I'm looking at buying doesn't currently have a holding tank installed to the existing sea toilet and unfortunately my intended location requires holding tanks by law.

Does anyone know roughly how much I should expect to pay for installation of a holding tank? Presuming there is space for one . I seem to remember seeing an earlier thread where someone has their holding tank installed on the starboard side afore the engine bay.

Thanks,
Dave
dtwilson

Holding Tank - Info

Postby Nick Porter » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:59 am

Dave, when I bought my Mirage some 10+ years ago it had a stainless steel holding tank which was sitting on the shelf in front of the 2 engines. The capacity was somewhere in the region of 40 gallons It was fitted a “Yâ€
Nick Porter

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Postby SiFi » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi Dave
I believe I contributed to the other thread about holding tanks, mine fits into the starboard side gap in the engine compartment. Tank is about 3ft long and about 1ft square.
I've also got a Y valve to choose between waste going to the tank or going into the sea.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, I have no idea of installation cost.
Simon
SiFi

Thanks for responses

Postby dtwilson » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:10 am

Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

The boat I'm looking at has evidence of having had a generator installed in that exact spot you mention Simon i.e. starboard side of the shelf forward of the engines. "Evidence" consists of generator hookup cable, tie-down hooks on the shelf, in/out fan blowers either side of the space and a stainless steel exhaust leading to a thru hull exhaust on starboard side.

As I'm planning on utilising this as generator space also, it leaves me nowhere for the holding tank in the engine bay at least.

Also, investigating holding tank systems etc (tek-tanks etc) I've realised it may cost upwards of £1000 to install a complete system with pump-out valves, etc. so have decided to postpone this for now and simply replace the existing sea toilet with a chemical porta-potti until funds allow for putting the sea toilet back in with holding tank.

I'm also curious to know if anyone has ever unscrewed and lifted the forward floor section in the cockpit, under the seats? I believe the fuel tank is located in there, but am wondering if there may be additional space which could be used for holding tank?

Dave
dtwilson

Postby SiFi » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:06 am

When I tried to explain where my holding tank is I guess my description wasn't very good, I meant the starboard side of the engine space (beside the engines) the other side of the wood divider - under the side deck of the boat.

Anyway, it does sound pricey, so your choice sounds like a sensible one.

See photos below (a little out of focus) of the fuel tank area - which is what is below the pilot and navigator seats. There's not a lot of room for much else, except if you take the fuel tank out to give you access to the side areas.

Fuel tank port side

Fuel tank starboard side
Last edited by SiFi on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
SiFi

Nice photos

Postby dtwilson » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi Simon,

Thanks, I understand where you mean now, and yes that does seem to be a good spot for a holding tank, except for the fact that in the boat I am purchasing, there are a few exhaust and blower pipes for the generator getting in the way over there.

Thanks a mil for posting the photos though as that gives me a good idea as to what is under that panel and wow, I know the fuel tank is 500 odd litres, but that is one huge tank. Kinda makes you nervous about sitting atop it, no? ;)
dtwilson

Postby ms » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:05 pm

I installed a 20 gallon Tek Tank in the starboard engine bay 'cheek', that is - adjacent to the starboard engine. I cant actually remember cost but I don't believe it was excessive. Bit of white pipe from ASAP Supplies and a few fittings from Lee Sanitation. The main cost was the tank. Evacuation of holding tank is by shore pump out; I did not fit an on-board pump to empty to sea.
I do recommend that you fit a no smell carbon filter from Lee Sanitation.
martin
ms

Postby PatrickLeigh » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:57 am

This is a picture of our engine bay on our Mirage... still got room to move about..(as long as I stay off the pies in between work being required!) 2 x 145's , hot water tank, diesel tank for heater and 60 litre holding tank..

Holding tank is just off centre on the step where the batteries sit.

Ok, when full of fuel and dinghy c/w outboard is hanging on davits we do tend to sit lower than most other mirages I see. However an extended water tank in the bow and a few strategically packed bags of sharp sand now have us nice and level :-)

OFF TOPIC: Note the shiney webber carbs fitted.... quite simply the BEST money I have ever spent on stuff for the boat.. old carbs even after ultrasonic cleaning and hours setting up would often fail at the most unfortunate times (locks, mooring, going alongside etc).. however, these puppies tick over a treat and use a fraction of fuel compared to the old units... It's like having two new engines :-)

[/img]
PatrickLeigh

Boat: Mirage

Postby ms » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:37 am

Very TIDY
My 145HP turbo diesels give me a bit less room than that ... !!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/artisanmirage/diesels.htm
martin
ms

Postby PatrickLeigh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:47 am

They look cosy MS .... nice set up.

If I'd not been able to sort the engines with the carb kits I was seriously considering the engines you've got there and spending more of the kids inheritence!
PatrickLeigh

Boat: Mirage

Postby ms » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 am

Here's an afterthought ... if you don't need the cruising range have the stainless steel tank converted into part fuel - part black water.

Same size, and same total weight. You could do an 80/20 split ..... a 20 gall holding talk would last two people .. what 4 days .... ?

Although I am not sure about the longevity of stainless for black water .. not the stainless itself .. but I think I read somewhere that the contents of holding tanks attacks the welds.
martin
ms

Postby SiFi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Just thought I'd try and complete the picture .. literally ... following my earlier post here:

My engine bay showing the yellow holding tank tucked in on the left of the photo under the starboard side deck
Simon
SiFi

Webber Carbs

Postby Nick Porter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi Patrick, very impressive carbs.

Could you give me what sort of difficulties you experienced in doing this conversion - and possibly an estimate of the cost involved as I would like to do the same.

Many Thanks

Nick
Nick Porter

Postby derekmiller45 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:53 am

Hi Simon.
Thanks for the pics of the fuel tank, always wondered what it looked like under there.
You give the approx size of your holding tank, do you know how much it actually holds. I think that is the only space I have available. I need the step to get down into the bay, so cant install it there.
Thanks.
Derek.
Definition of BOAT:- Bung On Another Thousand
derekmiller45

Postby SiFi » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:32 am

Hi Derek,
I don't know the holding tank's capacity, if I can measure it acurately then I'll add an update to this topic
Simon
SiFi

Next

Return to Fairline Forum