The cost of marine wiring.

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

The cost of marine wiring.

Postby maxpower » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:58 pm

I recently had some fairly minor electrical work carried out on my Weekender.
i.e. the fitting of a 4 way switch, 240V and 12V power to the front of the boat (internal)
Wiring of a couple of gauges, provision of a second battery, plus other small connections.
I have paid the bill but I was astounded that the rate was £40.00 per hour and it took 26 hours to do.
Total cost £1300.00.
Not happy as to the cost,, what are others view, is it a rip off or is that a reasonable cost.
maxpower

Postby enterprise » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Does sound excessive, however the cost will involve a fair amount of associated travel costs, materials, yard fee's and dreaded VAT.

The hours equate to around 3 1/2 days work, which I would think is still excessive for the work described, even DIY it would only be around 2 days (including breaks & head scratching time).
Not knowing the complexity however It is possible, even more so if it's a nice day and the tech guy was in no rush.

Reminds me of the time when foolishly we had our engines and drives serviced by Volvo main agents (warranty requirement at the time), believing we were doing ourselves a favour to keep our warranties, cost us £2300, which incidentaly is around 3 years worth of servicing since, so it maybe purely down to the outfit used for the work. :shock:
enterprise

Boat: Targa 28

Postby ms » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Hours required do seem rather high.
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Re: The cost of marine wiring.

Postby WTech » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:42 am

Should have give me shout?
Wayne
WTech

Postby maxpower » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:54 pm

Wayne, unfortunately a condition of my marina is that I use only their electrician whilst boat in marina . It was on the hard so could not take it elsewhere.
I think this is normal practice in marinas.
maxpower

Postby ms » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:12 pm

I think this restrictive practice is something that all marinas try to maintain. In reality I think you are entitled to decide to whom you will entrust your boat and the marina ought to respect that, in which case they may wish to charge you some kind of admin fee for allowing this.

Alternatively you can have someone 'show you' how to do such a job, .... or you advice the marina that you are getting help from a 'family member'.
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Return to Fairline Forum