STARTING PROBLEM

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

STARTING PROBLEM

Postby tony b » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi, I've got a problem with the starboard engine on my Corniche. The engine wont start. I took the air filter off and it appears no petrol is getting through to the carb. The port engine starts ok. I've had problems starting the starboard engine for a while but its allways fired up in the end and once started has run fine. It looks like a fuel problem but the fuel is obviously getting through to the port engine.Any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.
tony b

Boat: fairline corniche

Postby ms » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:20 pm

I presume you are satisfied that this is a fuel problem and not a spark problem, and also that you have no moisture inside your distributor cap
well, I would suggest the first line to follow would be to checkout the fuel
filters .. change all fuel filters and make sure all is well
Then to the pump .. is it pumping? .. perhaps disconnect the fuel line to the carb ... get ready to capture fuel in a container and
a - prime the pump with hand primer if it has one
or
b - get someone to turn the engine with ignition key for a moment
If you get fuel then you may have a blockage caused by sediment in the carb.
If you get no fuel ... then you need to find out why.
Try disconnect the fuel line at entering the filter - blow back down the pipe (bicycle pump ?) which may dislodge any muck in the fuel lines from the tank.
Check all unions in case you have an air leak. It is feasible for your pump to suck air even if you cant see any fuel escaping.
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Postby tony b » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks for your reply.Yes I'm almost certain its a fuel problem - I took the air filter off and the carbs as dry as a bone and not even a smell of petrol when the throttles pumped. I'll follow your advice and disconnect the fuel pipe from the carb and see what comes out, if nothing I'll follow the trail back to the fuel pump and further if necessary until I find whats blocking it. I suspect a blockage or possible problem with the fuel pump. The engines are Volvo Pentas, are the fuel pumps prone to faults?
tony b

Postby ms » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:31 pm

I don't know pumps well enough to venture an opinion.
If you disconnect fuel supply to the pump and then prime you should feel air sucking into the inlet .. which might suggest a blockage down-line somewhere. Be methodical in your analysis and only do one thing at a time in order to narrow down the search
martin
ms

blocked pipe

Postby Tony C » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi, I had the same problem, after all the checks I disconnected fuel pipe at in side of filter and pumped with foot pump until I herd the air go into the fuel tank and solved the problem
Tony C

Boat: carrera

Postby tony b » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks for your replies - very helpful. Hopefully I'll be able to get down to the boat this weekend and have a look. There will no doubt be a filter in the fuel pump but are there any other filters anywhere in the fuel line that may be blocked?
tony b

Postby ms » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:43 pm

I am not big on marine petrol installations but I think it is customary to have a filter of some kind between the tank and the pump - or it may just be a pre-filter/water separator.
martin
ms

Return to Fairline Forum