Pre purchase survey Sprint 21

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Pre purchase survey Sprint 21

Postby Poochpower » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:51 am

Hi, We are in the process of (hopefully) buying a 1988 Sprint. Have made an offer subject to satisfactory checks which has been accepted. We have had a compression check and 'in water 'check on the engine system which has come back as runs fine with a few advisories ie. new manifolds, risers and gaskets (due to lay up period of 10 years may be necessary), small leak on circulation pump, engine fuel hoses external braided type (check), a couple of water clips rusty, distributor to be changed at some time to electrical eye system.
Next comes the pre purchase survey... my question is.....What level of survey should we have done in addition to the above engine check?
Many thanks for any input.
Poochpower

Postby ms » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Not quite sure what you mean by 'level of survey'.
It is customary to have a marine surveyor check out your intended purchase which will be an out of the water survey where he will concentrate mostly on the hull, but also look for other problems.
martin
ms

Boat: Fairline Mirage

Postby SiFi » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Martin is right, a Pre-Purchase Survey is a set thing, only one 'level' is done.
It's not like buying a house.

I'm pleasantly suprised you've gone to the expense of being able to get the engine checked over, not many people do this, I think the most people have done is the Pre-Purchase Survey.
Simon
SiFi

Postby Poochpower » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:57 am

Many thanks for your reply Martin. The full pre-purchase survey is being done today. Here's hoping that there aren't any problems.
Poochpower

Postby Poochpower » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Sorry, didn't spot your reply Simon. Yes I was thinking along the lines of house buying I guess. Was thinking of just having the hull checked over but of course we do actually want it properly checked all over Inc. electrics etc. not only for our own piece of mind but also for insurance purposes.
Poochpower

Return to Fairline Forum