Hydraulic leak. Stern drive. Below water line "help&quo

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Hydraulic leak. Stern drive. Below water line "help&quo

Postby ~Ray~ » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi
I've a serious leak of hydraulic fluid below the water line in one of my stern drives.
I'm lifting her this week to investigate.
Any thoughts?
Are there pipes outside the transum or is there only a piston?

Regards
Ray
Regards
Ray

"Flying Cloud"
~Ray~

Boat: Targa 31

Postby Tico » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi Ray
there are the balance pipes between the tilt cylinders that transfer hydraulic oil, they may be cracked or one of the connections come loose.

Alternatively, the cylinders rods are sometimes corroded and allow the fluid to leak out in certain positions of tilt. if this is the case you will need to get either new piston rods or the existing rods rechromed and the seals changed. If so, give me a call as i have the special spanner which enables you to dissemble the cylinders... otherwise you will have a hell of a job!
Phil
Tico

Boat: Fairline Targa 31

Postby ~Ray~ » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:59 am

Hi Phil
Thanks for the advice. I've bought a set of rams from Keyparts (?367 +VAT) and a mate of mine will help fit them this Monday. Typical isn't it. The hottest calmest days so far this year and the boats in the car park !!
Regards
Ray

"Flying Cloud"
~Ray~

Postby Tico » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:21 am

Dont want to p**s on your fire, but getting the rams off complete is a big job as the pin that retains the inner end is v. difficult to get off, and sometimes needs an engine out!
Its much easier to change the rods only... for which you will need the spanner.
Tico

Postby ~Ray~ » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:27 am

Hi. Yes so I hear but it looks like the aluminium rams have corroded through.
My mate has done a few in the past (he's a marine engineer) and has the tools. However I have fingers and legs crossed.. :-)
Regards
Ray

"Flying Cloud"
~Ray~

Postby Tico » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:11 am

OK, Best of luck, hope it goes ok
Tico

Postby ~Ray~ » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:20 am

Thanks.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Regards
Ray

"Flying Cloud"
~Ray~

All sorted til next time.

Postby ~Ray~ » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi
It took 12 hours start to finish. The pins poped out (nearly) using the magic of a big hammer some grease and a small tube. There was not enough room in the cut out in the fibreglass surrounding the shields for them to come out far enough to remove the rams. BUGGER!. SO... took off the legs, the shields, undid the engine bolts. (Two sheared off.) Moved the engine 12 inches forward. dah de dah... replaced everything and put it back together. Piece of piss. (wish it had been) Anyway when I left her she was still floating.

Not a job for the faint hearted :-)
Regards
Ray

"Flying Cloud"
~Ray~

Postby 1973keith » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:41 am

WOW! That sounds like a huge pain in the ass.
When I changed the piston seals in my rams, the pins were seized solid but i managed to free them by making a puller from an allen bolt and socket... I put as much weight as I dare on the allen bolt and dumped a kettle full of boiling water over the area of the shield that was holding the pin. It went with a bang.

I have to say you're a braver man than me moving the engines forward for this job... I would have taken a Dremel to the interfering bit of the transom ;-)
1973keith

Boat: Fairline Sunfury, 2x AQ145B/290

Postby ~Ray~ » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Trust me, If I could have taken a Dremmel or a hammer in I would have. Fairline did a neat and tidy job when they built her:-)
Regards
Ray

"Flying Cloud"
~Ray~

Postby Tico » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:02 am

Thats why i mentioned it.... it needs a small chamfer in the transom but most boatbuilders don't bother.
Tico

Postby smick » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Ahhh, thats why my mechanic made me grind out the bottom of my transom when rebuilding last year.... He told me to stop asking questions.
smick

Boat: Fairline Sportsfury/ now Targa 34

Return to Fairline Forum