buying a targa 29 or 30 any advice

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Postby ajay » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:52 am

Andy some good advice, esp with looking at the older targas (many of which have been completely refitted by now)

That T34 is pretty surely a scam 70k for a 2005 T34. Several ppl re-advertised my boat when she was for sale, pinching the photos / desc in various foreign languages for prices down to EU40k, when I emailed as a customer they give the usual scam, they are working in a different country cant use their boat, you pay for shipping upfront etc.

be careful out there ;)
ajay

Boat: Targa 30

Postby enterprise » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:32 am

Good call Ajay,
Recognised that all boats can have potential problems with regard to ownership etc. but you never can tell, especially in an economic downturn, this was such the case with our own, only ours was in the UK and took zero cost investigating the previous owners, bills and receipts etc.

?5-8K in cosmetic makeovers can transform an older boat, machinery is always the most important though, so if you find a good one that's mechanically and structurally sound but requires TLC with regards to cosmetics then if the price is right your on to a winner IMHO.

Start out with a fresh interior (of your choice), professional compound back to a high gloss shine, change decals etc. and still have a very desirable boat that's fresh and well ahead of the competition for more or less the same cost as the untouched equivalents.
Resale chances will improve (unless you go with a bazaar scheme) , ownership will be like it's a new boat etc. etc..

If I could afford it then the T37 in Weymouth would be my starting point. 8)

Another caution you may need to take when viewing older boats is regarding viewing with your other half :roll: , I know from experience that just like when viewing houses, they won't often look beyond the colour of the curtains and upholstery, from a sellers point, when presenting a fresh, refurbished example, if you can sell it to the partner your on to a winner, no mater how old the boat. :wink:
enterprise

Boat: Targa 28

t29 or t30

Postby jak » Sat May 01, 2010 9:37 am

Ajay/Enterprise

Thanks for info, yes tight on morring - guys at boat yard have been out with the tape and will increase my spot for a t30- T34 will be ppushing it.

Will just have to keep looking - got to also fit bow thuster so must try and knock a bit off if i can.

Cheers
jak

Boat: TARGA 29 !!

targa 29 or30

Postby jak » Sun May 30, 2010 7:54 pm

well, i think i bought a 29 now 1998 2 owners last one since 2002.

just waiting for survey now and then get her home, littel bit of gel coat work - seat divider crazed owner said he sat on it! top side a little crazed in an area - hope to sort and i'm away.

still thinking of bow thuster but it does turn well.

Anyone know of good bow thuster fitter along south coast?

cheers
jak

Postby ajay » Sun May 30, 2010 10:53 pm

Congratulations,

bit of gel work and vinyl is good going, hopefully the survey is good.

dont know if they are any good but I saw bowthrustersuk.com had reasonable prices. Dont take that as a recommendation but just another company to consider.

Most targas are fitted with thrusters made by sidepower, for the size of boat you will need a 4hp or more.
ajay

targa 29

Postby jak » Mon May 31, 2010 6:35 am

Hello Ajay,

Thanks for bowthruster web address - will see what they have to say.

One thing the owner did say that he has lost the engine hrs, put new dials in - tried to warm up old dials to read but didn't work so the yard just changed them. He reckons the engines have done about 800 hrs which seemed reasonable for 12 yr boat. Can you lose the hrs?
Also supercharger not kicking in on starboard engine, he says he has changed the belts and they are all tentioned but will have to get yard to sort before i survey.

any advice on getting rid of the scratches on the blue hull - owner says will go to white if you get carried away on the t-cut!

thanks
jak

KADs

Postby Mike Field » Mon May 31, 2010 8:58 am

If the engines are KAD32 they have compressors that kick in at 1600RPM and drop out at 2600RMP then the turbos take over to Max 3800RPM
Take it, its the compressors that are not working correctly, check belt tensions these are critical, oil levels plus magnetic clutch, centre bolts have been known to come out.

The gel coat on Fairlines are good and can take a good cutback, try Meguiars gelcoat restorer unless it as been abused prior . :D

If you need a good mobile enginner in the area let me know, I have a contact number
Mike F
Mike Field

Boat: Targa 39

Postby jak » Mon May 31, 2010 4:07 pm

hi Mike

Thanks for infor on kad32 will pass it on as not yet the offical owner!!

cheers
jak

Postby ajay » Mon May 31, 2010 8:58 pm

Jak,

The hour meter displays tend to stop working after a few years in marine environment. They count but stop displaying usually in summer they dry out the moisture and start displaying again (remember they are always counting) When you replace with new you really loose the ability to prove the hours unless you keep service receipts with hours logged.

If the last owner guesses the hours it wouldnt be enough for me, get the surveyor to check the engines maybe also an oil analysis (they are cheap and very useful to tell engine state as long as the oil hasnt been changed recently) Maybe also phone a volvo penta dealer to check if theres any way to check the hours if stored in the engine (some engines store the hours internally but I think kad32s might not)

If the supercharger doesnt kick in its most likely the supercharger itself (usually the clutch) thats duff or the control unit. You are right to insist this is done before seatrial otherwise you wont be able to test too much.
ajay

Previous

Return to Fairline Forum