buying a targa 29 or 30 any advice

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

buying a targa 29 or 30 any advice

Postby jak » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:55 am

Hi there,
just sold my boat - looking for bigger one, narrowed the search to a Targa 29 or 30.
Any advice from curent owners - what to look for - good/bad points -

Thanks - i need some help!!
jak

Boat: TARGA 29 !!

Postby ajay » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Sold mine but the T30 is very hard to fault. The T29 is also a very nice boat but being an older model than the T30 you will not find many in good condition or updated. Although some on this forum have extremely tidy examples. Try and stick to KAD32 engines in both cases. For diesels with a reasonable number of hours expect to pay ~45-55k+ for a T29 and ~65-75 for a T30. Main problem you'll have is to find one!! (or at least good ones at this point in the season) So many UK boats left the country in past 18months, going to scandinavian / EU countries so you'll probably have very little choice.

Just the normal things, ie look for at least a few recent years service history (if not full history), look for accident repairs to the blue hull, its very common for the forward settee moulding to break away from the hull moulding / tabbing (will be seen from inside the settee moulding) The bathing platform will have a few bumps / scratches / repairs (not a problem and you'll expect to add a few yourself ;) )

A bowthruster and teak cockpit are options probably worth having. The lux pack has extra windows which can leak so watch for that.

The good points are its a very well balanced hull, on the plane you wont need to play with trim, they cruise at a nice 22-27knots and flat out approaching 34knots. They are very easy to maneuver / moor. If you're coming from a smaller boat ~24foot for example the T30 will really feel like a big boat in terms of stability / ride.

why did I sell :(
ajay

Boat: Targa 30

must be a T30 then

Postby jak » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks Ajay, yes i did spot your ads but waited until my boat sold - hence wrong time of year to buy but buy I must!!

I have come from a Searay 240 had her 7 years so bit scary to move up but remember what it was like when i moved from a 19ft to 26ft.

Thanks for advice, bow thuster a must as single handed mooring, family look on for now.

Most T30 are without bow thusters - anyone out there fit them? how much?

did it cost a lot to service KAD32's?

Thanks
jak

Satisfied Targa 29 owner

Postby markjohn2001 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:39 pm

Jak
We bought a Targa 29 this time last year, and had a great year. Based in Northern Ireland, we wanted something that could safely get us over to the West coast of Scotland - and the T29 has not let us down.
We were lucky to know the boats recent history, and the previous owner is a diesel mechanic so we knew the boat was a good'un.
Although I have had her up to 29kn, I decided to cruise at 20kn to reduce fuel costs. Then, on a late season run to the Isle of Man, we had to get there fast and I cruised at 25kn. Surprise, surprise, not only did the boat plane better, but I found out to my amazement that fuel economy had increased slightly. We are using about 10 g/h - or 2 mpg.
We don't have a bowthruster, and although everyone says we shouldn't need one, I'd prefer to have the comfort of having one.
We considered moving bigger over the winter (to a Phantom 40) but in the end decided to have another season in our current boat.
I wish you well - from the many conversations I've had, I've never heard anyone with abad word to say about any of the Fairlines.
markjohn2001

t29 or t30

Postby jak » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi Markjohn,

Thanks for message, hope to bring news of a purchase soon!!
jak

Targa 29/30

Postby enterprise » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi Jac,
We own a T28, same as the 29 but without the extended swim platform, built for a couple of years before they extended it and renamed it Targa 29.
We absolutely love the boat, trading up from a 24ft Sealine it's just so much more boat than you can imagine for the extra 4ft.

I would recommend the T29 but if you can stretch to the T30 then so much better, the styling jumped considerably from the 28/29 to the 30 that it would be worth the extra, with the added benefit of newer engines.

As Ajay has mentioned the majority will be Kad32's, they suit the targa really well and both the T28/29 & 30 will purr along all day at 28knots with a wide open throttle speed approaching 40knots with the right props.

Things too look for on a T28/29, there are surprisingly few faults which I guess is why they are still very much sought after however as with any boat over 10years old there will be wear and tear.

Firstly all targa's that we have seen have a stress fracture on the inner hull moulding where the step up to the forward dinning area is.
Our surveyor had surveyed many targa's during his time and all have been cosmetic with regards to this fracture, caused by a hull to inner moulding join using a mastic type jointing compound.
It is easily repaired but unless you can get to the compound and remove it , it will almost certainly re-appear.

Check the aft berth for water ingress, feel beneath the rear mattress for dampness.
The problem here seams to be caused by either the shrinking windscreen seals or the Nav light wiring tracking water.
It's an easy fix though so if you do find it it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Check the bathing platform support strut for movement, its a week spot on the T28/29 as they used self tappers to fix it to the boat, easily cured if it's loose but if not tight it will allow water ingress to the transom.

Blue hull examples often have UV damage to the aft quarters, unless these have been maintained meticulously then they may require professional attention to restore a lasting shine.

Many models prior to 1997 have Volvo AD31's, they are lower horsepower than the Kad32's and therefore require minimal loading (boat gear, fuel and water) to get them going, by choosing the kad32's you will not be disappointed and they do make quite a difference to the performance from standstill, top end not so noticeable, only downside to the kad 32 is the compressor whine at low speeds (ie river speed when pushing above 1700 rpm).

Cosmetic changes are well worth the effort on an older boat (see gallery for examples) just make sure the boat price reflects the work required, budget for approx ?8k to replace all upholstery, carpets, canopy and surfaces.

Any further info required then please feel free to ask :D
enterprise

Boat: Targa 28

t29 or 30

Postby jak » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:14 pm

hi enterprise,

Many thanks for all that advice, i'm sure i will have more questions.....

Have a good season, they say it will be sunny, hope i've got more than a deck chair on my mooring soon.

cheers
jak

Postby ajay » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Jak,

most T30's that Ive seen have bowthruster because over their 10yrs or so one of the owners decided they wanted it.

single handed it helps a lot, esp if you can buy a remote control for your bow thruster (or make one if you're like me), seems real lazy but with one you bring the stern to the pontoon then step off the boat with the stern line tie off and still keep the bow in with the remote, then take the bow line from the stanchions and tie off the bow line.

servicing costs, main VP dealers will charge ~?450 + vat per engine and the same per leg for full service every other year. About 1/2 that for the minor leg service in between years. If you find an ex VP engineer whoes gone freelance then you'll pay about 1/2 main dealer price. If you'll be on the south coast I can recommend a few (PM me) that will work out ~?1k for full service on both engines and both legs (and less on the minor leg service interval)

Jak its really not scary to move up from 24 foot single engine to dual engine (with or without thruster) You'll have far more control than your single engine, arriving in the marina with wind on the bow is a lot less trouble.

Theres really not much to choose from, I can see two T30s at the moment, one in CI one in Wales.

Good luck,
ajay

TARGA 30

Postby MERRELLE » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 am

Hi.

Interesting as i actually purchased Targa 30 "Merrell" from Ajay back in October.

I am delighted with her having just completed season antifoul easy to
do and engine servicing which i enjoy.
With bowthruster and teak cockpit she is a delight to handle on my own.
Kad 32s are great, performance i cruise at 23 knots fuel about 6 gals an hour.
Great boat recommended .

Roger.
MERRELLE

t29 or 30

Postby jak » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Ajay,

thanks for info - North wales one will not move on price at all - been told he just spent ?2k lifting one engine out amongst other things to put new sump tray in as blower kept putting salt spray onto engine.
Says design fault....
CI one sold in 2 days of going up.

I'm based in Christchurch, boat or should I say mooring is at Rossiters.

Thanks
jak

Fairline 30/33

Postby Rob G » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:30 am

Jak
There is a Targa 30/33 for sale on aaa marine's web site on the isle of wight.
Regards
Rob G

Boat: Carrera 24

Postby enterprise » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:57 am

Targa 30's were only made for a couple of years which will make them quite rare on the second hand market, not sure of the numbers but as Ajay has said most will have gone abroad by now.
We were berthed next to one for a while and when it was put up for sale there were no end of prospective purchasers, not wanting to reduce the asking price a few were put off (dreamers) but it eventually sold for more than the asking price.

The do come up regularly but don't expect a bargain or reduction in asking price by vast amounts and be ready to move quickly when you do find one.

It might be worth looking at re-importation (for the right money), I remember one at ?65k out in spain recently, if the transport cost can be sorted then it would possibly be worth it.

There is this one but re-importation would make it expensive unless the owner will bring it back to the UK as part of the deal.
http://www.targa30.co.uk/
enterprise

Postby ajay » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:39 pm

I know of nice T30s that went for 60-68k in the past 18months, but this period was very different. Now with a lot more stability in the economy you can probably expect 'asking prices' to stick to 80k+ (as they always have) but achieved prices/discount to be within 10-15% at best.

I expect they will sell for low 70's for at least the next few years, esp with a shortage in used boats and new boats (since manufacturers cut production in recent years) On the up side at least you'll have depreciation free boating.

re-importation is a possibility in the coming years as ? gains strength and returns to longer term trends. The amount of boats being transported into EU, there should be many empty loads in the opposite direction so maybe a cheap transportation is possible.

Andy, I expect the targa30.co.uk one is long gone (but worth a try)? I saw this one on the web ~2yrs ago.

Jak, the sea water spray into the engine bay is a design fault that common with tons of boats. When heeled over and spray enters the side air vents its directed by ducting onto the engine, the stb engine is more prone to this on the T30. Just because hes paid large bills on repairs doesnt mean its worth more than another, also doesnt mean he can recoup the money on sale. Mine (now Rogers) was from Christchurch (priory quay) so other side of the river from you. Back then there used to be ~ 8 available at any time but they were still very much in demand.
ajay

t29 t30

Postby jak » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:05 pm

Ajay and Enterprise,

Thanks for all your info, really does help and make even more determined to get a Fairline now.

Enterprise, will chase Rich on the Targa - you never know.
Recent research shows ?5k to bring one home. motor to South of France and then pick up trailer.
If they are going for more than the asking price then I'm one of those dreamers - will have to settle for T29 and have a few pounds left.
Ajay, were you in Elkins - over the past seven years i've been on the stanpit bank,waterloo,east bank and now north bank.
Are you still in the area?
jak

Postby enterprise » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:19 am

Hi Jak,
Resale has always been very strong with the T30, as was the T29 before the emergence of the T30, the T29 took a hit of approx ?20k on release of the T30 but has long since recovered and found it's new price point in the market.
The good news for both models however is if you are lucky enough to own one then the outlay can usually be recouped on resale as long as you look after it.

T29's are rarely advertised for less than ?50k unless they have petrols or AD31's, we know of one twin petrol that sold for ?36k with a pair of volvo 4.3's, (but has now increased in value !) as it was sold when there was a bout of panic sellng a couple of seasons ago.
Prices for Diesel AD31's will be mid to high ?40's
T29's with Kad 32's will be asking ?56k + but then wear and tear and overall condition will impact on the saleability more than the engine's.

You will also find that with the current economic situation owners of T29's and T30's will be quite happy to sit on the fence until the dust settles and wait for the right buyer, after all there is no rush to sell and buy anything else, downsizing can also be a problem for prospective purchasers trading up, owners of larger boats trying to release equity they have tied up with their current boat are trading down (we know of 3), mid sized targa's are therefore quite sought after from both ends of the market.

Are you limited by berth size?, the reason I ask is there are a few well looked after examples of Targa 36, 37's and 38's out there, Targa 34's are probably just over your budget but an older 36 might be top end of a T30's asking price.

Targa 38, South Coast UK (dont know age of Ad though)
http://www.power-boats-for-sale.com/pow ... 76759.aspx
Targa 37, Weymouth
http://www.power-boats-for-sale.com/pow ... 79039.aspx

Re-importation might still be a very good option, see Targa 34;(PS this one has already been sold, but you get the idea)
http://en.cosasdebarcos.com/barco_51727 ... 34548.html

Not sure of the importation and Tax requirements on such a purchase but for the money it would be worth investigation.
enterprise

Next

Return to Fairline Forum