Sprint - Anchor

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Sprint - Anchor

Postby Merkin99 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:56 am

Hi everyone

Just bought a sprint and for some reason the anchor is not mounted and stored on the bow, its tucked away in a locker to connect up when needed. I would like to connect it up for ease of access. What do I need to be able to connect it to the boat?

thanks
Merkin99

Postby David1944 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi
You should find a point in the chain locker to which you can fix a shackle to connect to the chain
David
David1944

Boat: Fair Carrera

Postby Merkin99 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 am

and what do I use to secure the anchor to the bracket on the bow to stop it falling in the water?
Merkin99

Postby ajay » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 pm

you mean theres no bow roller on the pulpit?

a bow roller looks like this ...

http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/photo-g/boat-anchor-roller-102641.jpg
ajay

Boat: Targa 30

Postby Bob Peters » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:55 am

Hi, when you secure the chain to the "hard point" in the chain locker use a rope that will allow you to cut the anchor chain free from the boat from on deck if you ever need to jetison a fouled anchor chain in rough conditions......trying to use a shackle pin upside down on the foredeck in a sea is no fun!

Regards

Bob
Bob Peters

Boat: Fairline Targa 39

thanks for the responses

Postby Merkin99 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:22 pm

as you can probably tell im a newbie at all this. Had a look around the marina and got the anchor out again over weekend. It seems that the roller is in place as would be expected but the anchor itself isnt a shape that easily fits onto it in order to be held in place with a pin. I guess thats why it wasnt secured there in the first place.
Merkin99

Postby Geoff Glassup » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:16 pm

I have a 1985 Carrera and when I bought it the anchor was stowed as you described. Not what you might call instantly accessible. The bow fitting has a roller and a drop nose pin. The anchor is a 7.5 Kg Bruce Claw Anchor. Having removed the pin, I set the anchor in place on the roller such that the point of the claw was just clear of the bow below the rubber fender surround. I then marked the position of the drop nose pin on the side of the anchor and drilled the appropriate sizes hole. The anchor is galvanised steel so the drilling wasn't a problem. With the anchor in place on the roller, and the pin engaged, I simply figure-of-eight the chain over the bow cleat and let the remainder drop down into the anchor locker. I'm happy with the result. I've just bought a stainless steel anchor and I anticipate more difficulty in boring the necessary hole. Hope that helps. PS As this makes permanent use of the bow clear, I bought another cleat exactly the same, and fitted it just abaft the anchor locker hatch, suitably backed up underneath.
Geoff
GEOFFANDVAL
Geoff Glassup

Boat: Fairline Carrera 24

Return to Fairline Forum