Fairline Targa 40

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Fairline Targa 40

Postby ringham » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 pm

My boat is currently ashore at present; I need to change the engine oil; I will need to run up the engines . Presumably i can do this with a bellows and hosepipe in a similar way , as for an for an outboard.?or is this too simplistic!
I have done this previously with my Targa 30

there is a tie bar between the 2 outdrives. is there a fixed measurement for the width ?
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Richard
ringham

Boat: targa 40

Postby ajay » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am

Ive seen several mechs just run the engines for less time with no water, as long as the impeller is out and you havent drained the coolant. The cooling system is closed so it will heat up which is what you want but it just wont have a way to stop the temperature rising if you keep it running for a long time, so just run it and keep an eye on the temp gauge, you dont need it to even reach 'normal' temp, just warm will help the oil out.

Its always best to do the oil / fluids at the end of the season so the boats sitting with new fluids over winter. Well used oil is acidic and just sits static in your engine otherwise.
ajay

Boat: Targa 30

Postby ringham » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:31 am

Thanks very much Ajay; will try; this saves all the messing about with the hosepipe. the impellers are out at the moment as well.
ringham

Boat: targa 40

Return to Fairline Forum