Lowrance fishfinder / depth guage

The place for Fairline discussions!
  • Advertisement

Lowrance fishfinder / depth guage

Postby drewswiss » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:15 pm

I am a bit lost and wondered if anyone could help.

Hi all.

I have a Lowrance x-70A 3D I dont know much about this
but think its a fish finder and depth guage in 1. I have managed to find out it is no longer produced.

It has lost its fight for life so i need to replace it,
My engineer told me the part in the engine bay was for
the depth guage so i would need to buy something
compatible with that part already there..

This is where i get lost. How do i know something is
compatible? Does anyone know what i need to get to get
me up and running again please?

Many many thanks

Andy.
drewswiss

Boat: Fairline Targa 27

Postby Mike Field » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Try a lowrance supplier or there tech department for the replacement model, if it applicable.
But you will probably find that that new ones are not compatible with the old transducer in the hull.
They should be able to advise if the new transducer will fit into the existing through hull sleeve, if so, here's the brave part, if the boat is in the water and you are quick & confidant, you can whip out the old transducers and insert the new one, watch out for an in rush of water up through the inset, if it goes wrong you will SINK, personally I would go for a lift out and install a new sleeve and transducer, and wire back to the new sounder/fishfinder.
If you decide to go new have a good look around at all the different manufacture Garmin-Raymarine Navco they come in all shapes sizes and colours, colour screens are the way to go.
Mike F
Mike Field

Boat: Targa 39

Postby drewswiss » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:09 am

Hi Mike.

Huge thanks, Will try a supplier, Not brave enough to change anything myself so would probably arrange a lift out first :)

Thanks for your help.

Andy
drewswiss

Postby drewswiss » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Just spoke to a guy at Navico who said that the leads are old school grey and today we use a black connector so it looks like a new system completely.

So,, Fishfinder/ depth guage.. Anyone know what i could get on a minimal budget please??

Andy.
drewswiss

Postby jkay » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:00 pm

Take your pick from this lot I've had a couple of Garmins and they have been great,no need to take the boat out as most depth transducers read thru the hull as opposed to a hole in the hull :wink:

http://www.mesltd.co.uk/sonar-fishfinde ... 30_24.html

you can just stick the transducer to the floor of the engine bay close to your old transducer with a large blob of silicone and gentle twisting left to right to remove air bubbles to seat the transducer
Then Roberts your Dads brother
"It was the crew's fault"
jkay

Boat: carrera

Postby ajay » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:28 am

Have you looked at the A series raymarines? Look good for the price if you want to update your gps at the same time and you can use the transom mounted transducer rather than a thru-hull if you want easier install...

http://www.cactusnav.com/raymarine-a57d ... 10271.html
ajay

Boat: Targa 30

Postby drewswiss » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Thanks guys, Massive help.

Have a pic of when she was out of the water and ive got a transducer below the outdrives on the stern but saying that spoke to a fella today who thinks the connector to it is a old one and not supported anymore,, said Grey connector and today they are black?

So it looks like a whole new job, I htink im lucky enough that my GPS and VHF i got last year is on its own feed so not all connected together.

Anyone know how good the in hull transducers are? Clear readings etc? Would be much better if i could just stick a new one on and just unplug the old one and leave it :)

Huge thanks.

Andy
drewswiss

Postby jkay » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:11 pm

They work almost as well thru the hull as on the transom
you can check this by wiring it up and holding it over the side and then placing it in a plastic bag full of water and move it around the hull to find the best position
I've done this 3/4 times with the Garmin model fishfinders and they have worked a treat
jkay

Postby drewswiss » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Last question :)

I have a Lowrance GPS and Lowrance VHF, Can i still go for a Garmin Fishfinder and transducer? I did read somewhere that it might not work because something to do with different frequencies mixing eachother up ??

Thanks.

Andy
drewswiss

Postby jkay » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:01 pm

yes!they are completely seperate instruments :)
jkay

Return to Fairline Forum