Turbo 36, 2x350 Yanmars

Forum for those owners restoring a Fairline.
  • Advertisement

Turbo 36, 2x350 Yanmars

Postby Skipper_Worse » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:24 pm

I've owned my 1984 Turbo 36 "WILD HONEY" (hull # 28) since January, 2005; now on the hard for several years due to illness in the family and a much wanted re-powering. Originally I was gunning for 2x450 MAN's to replace a pair of solid but tired Tamd 60 C's. But space and practicalities have prevailed and currently we are shoe-horning in a pair of Yanmar 350's (6LYA). (Anyone in the market for a pair of extremely well maintained MAN 450's just shoot me a pm. They'll fit perfectly in a 41-43 or a 43-45 or in a Fifty).

Now, I know this has been done previously, there is an article published in MBM 2/2000 -- TAMD 40 b's to Yanmar 350's. What I now want to know is, has anyone else fitted 350 Yanmars or larger engines to a Turbo 36? There are numerous issues with a repower like this, starting with the size of the engine bay and the constrictions it imposes.

Any advice and guidance will be highly appreciated. Good entries will be rewarded with pics :-)
There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- even half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
Skipper_Worse

Boat: Fairline Turbo 36

Return to Project Forum