Fairline Turbo 36 restoration

Forum for those owners restoring a Fairline.
  • Advertisement

Re: Fairline Turbo 36 restoration

Postby Murv » Tue May 15, 2018 2:51 pm

TurboRoss wrote:This is interesting reading , as I noticed that my port engine runs slightly hotter than the starboard one. Not by much but you can see the gauges are different .

The chap looking after the engines has said let’s get it all serviced up & see how it goes from there .

I hope it’s nothing serious!!

750 hrs on these motors but no idea if that’s acuurate , what sort of hours can you expect out of the volvos ?

I had a fishing boat engine , a 90hp John Deere make 15,000 hrs on the clocks and still was going strong !

Ross

Not sure you'll really get an answer on that, the debates seem to rage on with no concrete answers!
I personally don't even think about it, mine are on 1500 hours and in very good shape, don't use oil etc.

I use to drive a Volvo FL6 which is the engine that these are (apparently) based on. I'm sure in the lorries they're lower power output but mine had done 250,000 miles when I got it and it got absolutely hammered day in, day out for 5 years with absolutely no ill effects.
I've been reliably informed that the TAMD6 series of engines are some of the best engines that Volvo ever made so I'm sure that corrosion and lack of use is far more of an issue than ever wearing the things out 8)
Murv

Postby TurboRoss » Wed May 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi

Thats good to know and i'm familiar with trucks as we operate a transportation business, so I know what sort of mileage those FL6's can reach. I've driven plenty too !

Thats reassuring to know !

I just retuned home from a full day on the boat, this time I've changed door handles amongst a whole host of other things . Again you won't believe how heavy and robust the old ones are . They come off easy and have been replaced by B&Q polished stainless steel ones at £18 each. Ive fitted one and photographed it for reference (pics to follow) , but the door is changing colour so its coming off again.

I can't imagine how many hours work we've put into the boat already .

Ross
TurboRoss

Postby Severn » Thu May 17, 2018 1:58 pm

TurboRoss wrote:This is interesting reading , as I noticed that my port engine runs slightly hotter than the starboard one. Not by much but you can see the gauges are different .

At displacement speed I have had one engine running warmer than the other by about 8 degrees for a while.

After taking the boat for a test run now I have cleared and de-scaled the cooling system the starboard engine was still running warmer than the port. Yesterday I took off and checked that the exhaust elbow was not starting to block up but it was clear so were the little slots where the water is sprayed into the exhaust so it didnt look like a water flow issue. Today I decided for the sake of £100 quid on parts I would change the thermostat. I have got it out and it looks like somone in the past has changed it and used the wrong one. The part number on the thermostat that I have taken out shows it is for a different engine and it opens at 82 degrees where the one on the TAMD61a should open at 75 degrees. This explains why the engine is running about 8 degrees warmer than the other! I have just orderd the new thermostat, seals, gaskets and a few new bolts. Now its the bit I hate, waiting for them to arrive.
Severn

Boat: Fairline Turbo36

Postby TurboRoss » Wed May 23, 2018 7:15 pm

good day

Well another good day onboard the restoration project ! :lol:

Today we've finished off the galley , sealed it all up, made up some new hand rails in the same material as the worktops, and removed the STB aft hand rails and re bedded it all back in with shiny new stainless washers . Unlike the ones that came with the boat , the washers were non existent !!

Gaining access to the aft heads bolts meant drilling through the roof fixtures , as pictured !

Thats another job ticked off the list and onto the next

Ross :?
Attachments
PHOTO-2018-05-23-19-51-36 2.jpg
PHOTO-2018-05-23-19-51-35.jpg
PHOTO-2018-05-23-19-51-14.jpg
PHOTO-2018-05-23-19-51-14 4.jpg
PHOTO-2018-05-23-19-51-14 3.jpg
PHOTO-2018-05-23-19-51-14 2.jpg
TurboRoss

Postby TurboRoss » Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Here we are again with the latest galley pics !

Looking good and coming on nicely ...

Ross
Attachments
IMG_7687.JPG
IMG_7686.JPG
IMG_7684.JPG
IMG_7685.JPG
TurboRoss

Postby Murv » Thu May 24, 2018 4:16 am

I have to say that this thread is officially my favourite thing on the internet, ever!
Nicely done sir, keep the pictures flowing! And doesn't the aft deck look odd without the rails and dodgers!
Murv

Postby Severn » Fri May 25, 2018 5:03 pm

What a transformation. Great to see it all coming together.
Severn

Boat: Fairline Turbo36

Postby TurboRoss » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:16 pm

Good day all ...

Been a while since i last posted , but all is coming along fine. Im actually using the boat now here and there , taking it out for good runs to let the motors stretch their legs after so much time of non use !

Fitted the new radar mount and newly welded mast to take the nav lights ... looking very smart there now, and also just had the helm seat re-covered and here is a piccie of the fitting process ! the seat pad went on after :lol:
Attachments
IMG_8554.JPG
IMG_8555.JPG
TurboRoss

Postby TurboRoss » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Forgot to mention , we are tackling the new windscreen deflectors on Monday so i'm looking forward to that, will post step by step pics on how that went !

Stay tuned ...

Ross

:lol: :lol: :lol:
TurboRoss

Postby Murv » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:33 am

Looking very nice!
Our helm seat certainly needs sorting out now, it broke off coming into Dover in a force 8.
Carried out a strong, but untidy repair and currently in Holland but it will need replacing when we get back.
Hope you're enjoying the weather!

Chris
Murv

Postby TurboRoss » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Good day -

quick update whilst im waiting to commence the front cabin and saloon ive had a chance to fit my new wind deflector screens , made by Hampshire signs and plastics .

We've gone for a slight blue tint , and we had to drill our own holes which is never nice into that material but they fitted well .

Ross

:D
Attachments
IMG_8648.JPG
IMG_8644.JPG
TurboRoss

Postby Murv » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:02 pm

Wow, that really sets the boat off nicely! 8)
Murv

Previous

Return to Project Forum