Fairline Turbo 36 restoration

Forum for those owners restoring a Fairline.
  • Advertisement

Re: Fairline Turbo 36 restoration

Postby TurboRoss » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Good day

Severn wrote:I took a look at the engine manual this morning due to the annual service looming and the manual suggests stripping them down and cleaning them at 2000hrs

Wow i never knew that - thanks for the info. Im not sure what the hours are on mine as the log stopped working !!

Bet the mattress was a few quid I've looked at those . Ive got a friend who's brilliant at upholstery and we are going to double up on the mattress foam and then re-cover it to make it a good thickness . All that for about £120.00 i guess .

Today I've been trying to find out why the aft cabin is still a bit damp in places even after I've had the rear windows taken out and re-sealed ... the problem, sadly is simple. The aft deck fittings on the SS handrails are leaking ... the sikaflex must be that old . Its literally dripping in under each one . See pics

Also the mains power cable coming into the boat is under one of the outside hatches and thats dripping too, all over the electrics ....Not good at all. see pics

Im stripping the entire cabin now , all out and whilst i do that i might just refit all new cabinets and drawers and give the whole cabin a facelift !

The last picture is what my saloon looks like right now, wires everywhere ... we've dumped so many loose , unused cables its untrue . New blue LED lights going on the steps to the flybridge whilst I've got the key cabinet out the wall.

Ross :D
Attachments
IMG_6733.JPG
IMG_6729.JPG
IMG_6731.JPG
TurboRoss

Postby Murv » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:56 am

Quite sad seeing those pictures, but it will be worth it when it's done!

Can I ask you where the first picture was taken? I've always wondered where the shorepower cable goes after it disappears into that locker
Murv

Postby TurboRoss » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:46 am

Hi Chris

Murv wrote:Can I ask you where the first picture was taken? I've always wondered where the shorepower cable goes after it disappears into that locker

Yes its on the STB side under that little pelmet that the curtain rail goes on right next to the aft window

A few screws off and it just comes away - worth checking no leaks down there after a heavy bit of rain ! :lol:

Ross
TurboRoss

Postby Murv » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:29 am

TurboRoss wrote:Hi Chris

Murv wrote:Can I ask you where the first picture was taken? I've always wondered where the shorepower cable goes after it disappears into that locker

Yes its on the STB side under that little pelmet that the curtain rail goes on right next to the aft window

A few screws off and it just comes away - worth checking no leaks down there after a heavy bit of rain ! :lol:

Ross

Thanks very much, I shall investigate!
Murv

Postby Severn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:42 am

After seeing that photo of the cable I think I will be checking as well when I get home.

Matress is very expensive as we have gone for a 20cm pocker sprung with memory foam, fingers crossed it is worth the money. Out of interest have you recieved the quote for your screen yet? I thought I had a solution thanks to a supplier my brother uses but their oven was not big enough so I am back to square one.

Hey Murv is that you I see in motorboat and yachting? Yep seems a bit of a faff running the solution through. Think I will see how they run after the exchangers are stripped and cleaned.

Dont worry about the holding tank photos I have all but decided on my design now. Next step is to get intouch with Henderson plastic for a quote.
Severn

Boat: Fairline Turbo36

Postby TurboRoss » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Good day

Its been a productive day on the boat , managed to get port aft hand rail off today as was leaking through into the cabin , not that you would see it as it was protected behind that vinyl .. see pictures of the holes. It going to go back on with a newly engineered square washer that we can tighten down much stronger then the ones Fairline have used. :D (see picture of the hole that left)

Ive also just finished stripping out the aft cabin , and used an excellent glue remover to scrape off whats left of the foam backing on the vinyl . Its a long boring and messy job but at least i can see what im up against here... (see panoramic picture hope its worked)

Ive ordered oyster vinyl for the sides , and oyster suede for the roof panels, although we wont be ready to re fit all that back in for a few weeks yet . Ill re-upholster all that in my store.

For the bathrooms or heads i'm looking at a new plastic product that can be fitted in and will give it a nice modern look.

Whilst i'm at at we are checking all the water pipes .

So onto the plumbing ; as you can imagine like everything with this boat , its leaking everywhere ! So my plumber friend has come round and we've spent the morning changing all the fittings on the water tank - easy fix ! . Total cost on there £30. (see pics of one of the new fittings but theres actually 4

And ive removed one of the Davits to repair it ... see pic

All in all a good day and a step closer to transforming the boat ...

Galley gets ripped out soon...will keep you posted !

Ross
Attachments
IMG_6764.JPG
IMG_6766.JPG
IMG_6765.JPG
IMG_6764.JPG
IMG_6761.jpg
TurboRoss

Postby Murv » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:48 pm

Severn wrote:Hey Murv is that you I see in motorboat and yachting? Yep seems a bit of a faff running the solution through. Think I will see how they run after the exchangers are stripped and cleaned.

Yes, that's me in MBY, fame at last!!

I think you're far better off stripping them and cleaning anyway, the flush is a bit of a bodge really and won't remove any weed or anything that won't dissolve in a mild acid.

Ross, well done! Could I ask you to work a bit faster though? I really need a daily fix of Fairline Turbo goodness :lol:

Very much looking forward to seeing the refit, it's certainly going to be one special boat afterwards 8)

BTW, it looks as if you have slightly different davits to the standard ones. Mine are Simpson ED16's which are rated to something like 85KG, looks as if yours a bit beefier? I wonder if that was another change on the T38?
Murv

Postby Severn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:26 pm

I am failry sure that I have the same davits on mine, I would love to know what their rating is as I am enquiring about a new tender which is a bit bigger and quite a bit heavier than my current one.
Severn

Boat: Fairline Turbo36

Postby TurboRoss » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi,

Ill definitely try and provide daily turbo updates :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW those davits are SO heavy .... i was surprised . No wonder these boats are heavy , everything i've removed is built really well although it would have been nice if Fairline had thought about access to things when they fitted them out . Try getting to the rear cleat bolts ....! ive chiseled, cut , sawn it- its been tough going . Plus theres so much more room once all the fittings are off :lol:

I'm working away next week so sadly i have to leave the refitting of the radar arch to my trusty electrician.... but will be a nice surprise when i get back.

We've also fitted very nice new saloon lighting , and small blue neon lights up the steps to the flybridge ... looks very nice.

More pics to follow soon 8)

All the best R
TurboRoss

Postby Murv » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:21 am

Good man! 8)
I fitted some white lights in my steps, it's a really nice addition I think. Would have been nice to run a couple around the inside of the flybridge seating area too (inside of the starboard side if that makes sense) but just couldn't see any way of getting in there.

Severn, if they are heavier than the ED16's, I would guess they're the next model up rated at 100KG?

I did keep an Avon 280 centre console RIB on mine for around 6 months which must have been pushing 200KG and the davits were absolutely fine, as were the fixings. But, I did get rid of it in the end as it always felt such a strain winching the thing up and it was difficult pushing it out around the swim platform when lowering it.
I was also concerned about damaging the boat where the davits attached but in the short time I did it, it was all absolutely fine.
We've now got a Honwave 320 air deck and a 15hp 2-stroke which although is over the limit of our smaller davits, feels fairly comfortable but I wouldn't, personally, want to go any heavier.
The davit rating is also apparently rated at maximum load equally split between the two, so even with a 100KG rating, the actual weight of dinghy combo you can lift and stay within spec is pretty small.
Might be worth asking around to see if your proposed new dinghy will be OK before committing?

You can see the Avon in this short vid. It sat there very nicely, and was an incredible little boat, but soooo heavy for its size!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXywR1NeR5o
Murv

Postby TurboRoss » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:21 pm

Good day

Well back from working away and onto the boat again ...hope you havent missed me too much :lol:

The radar arch has come back from the GRP place, craned on today and looks as good as new . Great job . See pics taken today.

We've been busy - thats the boat almost fully re-wired , mixer tap in both heads replaced and they look amazing . The water tank connections are all changed now and the plumbing has been tested and no leaks - thats another tick off the old list .

Im still waiting on rudder seals to be made so ive negotiated a hold on berth fees until i can get the boat fully repaired - in the meantime i have some very good news....

The galley gets taken out next week and replaced with all new units including , cooker, fridge and new electric twin hob . Im looking forward to that starting and if it goes well , and theres still some cash in the pot we might have a go at the aft cabin too. Its going to brighten up the interior of the boat. By the way turbo 36 owners - front glass windows over helm position/galley - if they leak you will have damp cupboards in the front cabin :roll: - i did ...

When we changed all the seals and re-beded the glass in we noticed all the bits that were leaking .... :wink:

Did i mention the trim tab motor has been renewed ? Well for the first time in probably a good while the trim tabs are in full working order ...

The next update will be galley rip out and replacement - so if your keen ill start snapping more pictures and get them posted as its a bit of a gamble as to how this is going to turn out but i'm quietly confident

Ross
Attachments
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
TurboRoss

Postby Murv » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 am

Sheesh, about time! :lol:

Well done, sounds very productive and that arch looks fantastic.
Very much looking forward to seeing how the galley progresses, hope all goes well 8)
Murv

Postby TurboRoss » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Good day

Ive been away for some time now working but things have progressed with the boat restoration....

Here are a couple of pics of the galley rip out .....

Just look at the mess behind all those units, lost of leaning to do now and then the fitting of the new galley can start next week. Its going to look good

Also i have a question; when we bought the boat there were a number of SS poles in a blue bag on the outside deck (see first picture ) does anyone know what they might be for?

Soon as ive got some more juicy pics ill post them , look forward to any replies

Thnaks Ross
Attachments
image3.jpeg
IMG_0094.JPG
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
TurboRoss

Postby Murv » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:18 am

Wow! I bet you're looking forward to getting this finished!

Those poles must be for either a bimini, or a canopy for the aft deck I would have thought?
Murv

Postby gsodriscoll » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:25 pm

Hello Ross,

Excellent posts, very informative. I am doing the same work on a Sedan 36. The project seems to be never ending. Always seems to be something to do or repair on a boat thats 30 this year! But after a 1000 mile delivery trip from the Solent to the far north of Scotland, it is a great sea boat and the pain will be worth it!
All the best and I look forward to keeping an eye on your progress.

Gary
gsodriscoll

Boat: Fairline sedan 36

PreviousNext

Return to Project Forum