Fury 25 rebuild

Forum for those owners restoring a Fairline.
  • Advertisement

Fury 25 rebuild

Postby goldslinger » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:05 pm

hi all i thought it was time i started this thread
i have just bought a Fury 25 Project boat
it will be easier to say what it has got rather than what it hasn't got
we have a hull with some windows but not all of them
a lovely peeling paint job (Dulux i think )
most of the cupboards but only two of the draws
a toilet with sea cock and a sink
and that's about it oh yes a fern growing under the table
i know that the hull is sound as it was holding (about two foot ) water inside
(the cabin is open at the stern it is missing the whole back wall ??)
so what cupboards i do have are totally water logged along with the table top which was floating around
oh yes i have part of the sun deck roof
so i have a bit of work to do before she sees the water lol
100_2395 - Copy.JPG

100_2401.JPG

100_2398.JPG

100_2410.JPG

100_2417.JPG

100_2403.JPG
goldslinger

Re: Fury 25 rebuild

Postby TANGO » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi, further to your request for more info on your Fury, there is a picture (advertising) of what I believe to be a Fury on ebay - item no. 40124154778. This picture was cut from a magazine so it is quite possible that he may have a contemporary magazine with more pictures and info. Under contact details at the end of the listing is the sellers phone no. I have tried ringing it, but no answer - probably worth trying outside of working hours. I hope this may be of some help. Good luck. Geoff.
TANGO

Postby goldslinger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:02 pm

thanks for the info
tried the number (40124154778) in e-bay search and it came up not found
but i found this site which had some good archives for a reasonable price which gave me some good info on what the boat originally looked like
http://marinedirectory.ybw.com/reprints/results1.jsp
goldslinger

Postby TANGO » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:39 am

Good morning. Most strange, it does not come up for me on an item no. search either, but I remembered that it was originally from a Peters ad. I typed into ebay Fairline South Peters advert and it came up straight away.
Anyway, I am pleased that your are getting somewhere in your search. Geoff.
TANGO

Postby goldslinger » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi i found the add and e-mailed him he only has the adverts and no complete mags
worth a try
thanks
goldslinger

Postby goldslinger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi all
well i have made a start on the boat as you can see from the pictures
the the kick board at the bottom of the cupboards was rotten so i had to take off the worktop then i could remove the fronts of the cupboards to eventually get to the kick board and remove that i just need to clean up the old fiber glass ready for the new kick board to be glassed in
next was to start on what was left of the rear bulkhead first off by removing the molded cabin seats followed by there supports
then it was onto removing what was left of the rear bulkhead which was truly rotten as you can see and also the supports to the area that held the fuel tank what a mess
now to the bit that i was not looking forward to doing cutting up the floor and removing the ferns
so far i have taken up the main floor area hopping that i would not have to take the rest up but no the whole lot has to come up it doesn't show very well in the pictures but under the floor there is some expanding foam partially covering the hull which is sodden and has soaked into the stringers also the previous owner had cut into the main stringer and removed some of the fiberglass from around it so it looks like i am going to have to replace all the stringers which means i will have to take all the floors up and remove the bulkhead to the head and the forward cabin
oh what joy
100_2418.JPG

100_2419.JPG

100_2420.JPG

100_2421.JPG

100_2427.JPG

100_2431.JPG
goldslinger

Postby TANGO » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Glad to see that you have started your re-build. Keep the piccies coming. Geoff.
TANGO

Postby goldslinger » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:50 pm

thanks Geoff
more up dates as the weather improves
goldslinger

Postby goldslinger » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi all sorry for the lack of up dates the weather has been too cold
i did manage to get out there last weekend and do a spot more
after removing the foam from around the central rib i discovered that on the part of the deck i had taken up
the rib had not been fiber glassed in (see drawing )
the bottom of the rib had tabs to the hull but had not been sealed with a top cover of fiber glass
so i removed the head walls and took up the deck as far as the forward cabin only to find it was even worse
when they put in the expanding foam this had gone under the top piece of fiber glass and completely lifted it off the rib altogether what a state (see pic )
looks like i will have to go into the forward cabin to get to the end of the rib and replace the whole binkin lot
hull glass.jpg

100_2469.JPG

100_2473.JPG
goldslinger

Postby TANGO » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi, glad to see that you have been sticking (unsticking??) with it. I know that with this restoring lark, the more you dig, the further you have to!!! I am sure that once you have managed to clear the rubbish out, re-assembly will be an easier task. Always lots to do though, but I think you are doing very well. Well done and keep the piccies coming. Geoff.
TANGO

Postby goldslinger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:51 am

up date
sorry for the lack of up dates i have been very busy at work refitting out an old (built in the 1800s )pub
only to injure my shoulder and end up having an operation
so i hope to be fit enough in the next few weeks to start again :D
goldslinger

Postby TANGO » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:07 pm

Sorry to hear that you injured yourself. I hope that you will soon be recovered and able to continue with your interesting re-build. I look forward to your next lot of pics. Geoff.
TANGO

Return to Project Forum