Carrera re-fit, a more modern approach?

Forum for those owners restoring a Fairline.
  • Advertisement

Carrera re-fit, a more modern approach?

Postby TANGO » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:23 am

As I am about to clean/tidy up my RA Carrera, I wondered if it would be better to sand/oil the existing furniture
or to consider trying to bring it a bit more up to date. I do not think that much can be done to alter the layout (I think it is quite good as is), but I was thinking of perhaps making new furniture using lightweight ply with a laminate finish - possibly in a grey linen finish as the cockpit seats have been reupholstered using white and grey vynals. I would be interested to hear any thoughts on this matter, or if anyone has done something similar.
I would also like to know if these boats were fitted with any kind of insulation between the inner and outer skins, and if the furniture is bonded or "screwed" in. Any comments would be much appreciated. thanks. Geoff.
TANGO

Re: Carrera re-fit, a more modern approach?

Postby TANGO » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Some time has now passed since I last posted, but have had no replies!!! I have recently purchased yet another Carrera (yes - that is no. 3, none of which are yet seaworthy), but this one does at least have an engine and outdrive leg. It was afloat when I bought it so apart from a really good clean up will be the first one to hit the water and try to run the engine. Geoff.
TANGO

Postby TANGO » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Quick update, Andy from Bedford trimmers was here a couple of weeks ago and measured up and made templates for my new canopy. He confirmed today that he intends to start making it this week and hopes to fit it next week. Not too bad as it was ordered last November!!! He always has a long waiting list so I hope that is a good sign. I have decided to put the boat on the river Nene at Peterborough for a start to try to find out just how good (reliable) the package is. I have had the boat checked out for the boat safety certificate and just have a few very minor items to address and I hope to get it in the water soon after Easter.Geoff.
TANGO

Postby goldslinger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi what sort of price are you looking at for the canopy as i have a1970s Fury 29' and needs a canopy
goldslinger

Postby gerald » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:59 pm

andy has done two canopy's for me on birchwoods and is going to fit a new one on my targa 27 next month with a mod that will make the back go straight down so you don't have to lean forward when seating on the back seat very fair on price
gerald

Boat: targa 27

Postby TANGO » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi to both goldslinger and Gerald. I think that Gerald was the forum member that first suggested Andy to me about a year ago.Thank you Gerald. Goldslinger, the final price for my canopy has not yet been finalized as I have asked for a few changes since he made the templates, so I cannot tell you the price, however his price indications were far more reasonable than those for any other trimmer that I tried. Give Andy a quick buzz on his mobile 07885658462 and discuss the sort of thing you are after - I found him very helpful. Gerald, I know exactly what you mean about the additional rear frame and a "squarer" more sociable rear seating area (my engineless radar arch Carrera has had that mod), but against advice from Andy I decided not to use that method and to keep the canopy framework simple in order to be able to quickly fold the frame down onto to screen (Mistral, the boat I am trying to get afloat with is a non RA Carrera). As a matter of interest I was looking through a couple of snapshots when we were present at the launch of the original TARGA 27 at Oundle marina. I have googled Targa 27 images looking for one without the sloping rear hull extension, but did not find one, however at the launch the Targa stern was straight. Geoff.
TANGO

Postby TANGO » Tue May 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Well, I do not seem to have had many comments about ideas etc. to date, but would like to float a couple of ideas about. I know that the Carrera interior is very traditional with its wood finish and I do not think that much can be changed with regards to the general layout (which I think is quite good). I have been considering removing the galley completely and replacing it with a white/light coloured unit (possibly in fibreglass) with smooth rounded corners, and possibly a contrasting dark worktop. The same treatment could be used for the heads/wardrobe unit. I have seen a picture somewhere of a Carrera where the cabin door and hatch top have been replaced with what I assume to be dark or black high gloss acrylic sheeting and doing away with the hinge in the hatch. I think that the cockpit layout is quite good for the helm seating, but find the rear seat to be too cumbersome and the engine bay hinged cover far too heavy and awkward to access with the current bench seat arrangement. I do like the idea of cockpit access via the bathing platform, but do not like the idea of having to trample over the seat. As the pushpit rails stop short of the centreline, I do wonder if anyone has made a central transom access door? With or without a transom door I am thinking about trying to divide the engine hatch into 3 separate pieces and making some kind of side/corner seating. Any comments anyone? or alternative suggestions (other than buy a Sealine S25 - I love the Fairline Carrera, and could not afford an S23 anyway). Geoff.
TANGO

Postby TANGO » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:57 am

I do seem to be about the only person with comments about my project!!! Anyway, I had hoped to have had the boat afloat by now, but Volvo engine/leg problems have delayed that. I have decided in the meantime to start by improving the cabin access as I find the cabin entry steps too awkward and steep. I have removed the step carpeting and made an overlay set of steps adding an extra step to the bottom, this means that the rise of each step is now 234mm (originally 312mm - too much for my little legs!!). Istill have a bit of fettling to do, but will post pics when finished. Geoff.
TANGO

Postby goldslinger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:47 am

hi there i hope to get some more work done on my project soon
but yours sounds like its moving along quite nicely
goldslinger

Postby TANGO » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Thanks GS, I do not have anything like the amount of work that you are undertaking. I am now concentrating on trying to get the boat afloat very soon. Small projects can be undertaken whilst she is on the water. At the end of the season I intend to remove the engine and fuel tank to carry out a full service, repaint the engine and tidy up and re- flowcoat the engine bay all ready for next year. Geoff.
TANGO

Postby admin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Hi Tango,

I'm sorry, I've been reading your posts but don't have any bright ideas I'm afraid. Personally I like the boats to look as they did when they came out of the factory but perhaps with more contemporary soft furnishings, carpets, etc. On top of that a nicely installed nav pack perhaps?

Regards, Pete
Follow us on Twitter.
For Stainless Steel letters and Fender Socks visit Smart Marine.
admin
Site Admin

Postby TANGO » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi Pete. Thanks for your comments. I agree with your comments generally about keeping boats LOOKING original, but do think that there is nothing wrong with making a boat more practical to use. I bought my first Carrera brand new on May 1st back in 1985 ( wife suggested naming her Mayday!!!), and have been a fan of the Carrera ever since. Forgetting the rose colored spectacles there were/are a few shortcomings. Cabin access is not good, especially for older & shorter people. I have added an extra step at the bottom and made four four equal steps down and I am sure that anyone who sees this will think it an improvement. How many heads has the hinged door hatch with its spring support managed to hit when a shoulder catches the spring? The large and very heavy engine hatch is awkward to access with the rear 2 piece bench seat and cushions needing to be moved and balanced/tied up just to gain access to the electrical and fuel isolators. The easiest access into the boat is via the transom using the swim platform and fitted ladder, but this does mean clambering over the rear bench. Access from the sides means climbing over the pushpit rails. Addressing these sort of items will in my opinion make a lovely boat even more enjoyable to use. Geoff.
TANGO

Return to Project Forum