Fairline 29 Mirage; leaking windows

Forum for those owners restoring a Fairline.
  • Advertisement

Fairline 29 Mirage; leaking windows

Postby David King » Sun May 25, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi

Can anyone advise on how to remove and reseal windows in a Mirage Aft Cabin Fairline 29 c1984. Recent weather exposed leaks in aft cabin rear window and saloon forward sloping windows.
Dave King
David King

Boat: Fairline 29 Mirage Aft Cabin

Re: Fairline 29 Mirage; leaking windows

Postby Tony Mayo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:45 pm

[quote="David King"]Hi

Can anyone advise on how to remove and reseal windows in a Mirage Aft Cabin Fairline 29 c1984. Recent weather exposed leaks in aft cabin rear window and saloon forward sloping windows.[/quote]

Hi Dave,
to remove the windows you have to first remove the small rubber beading which is in the slot on the outside of the windows frame.
There you will find screws which secures the outer frome to the inner frame, remove screws and this will allow you to remove the outer frame from the inner frame.To be honest its best to get an expert and have the windows resealed,if interested and you are close to the Cambridge area I know of a good Guy who repairs windows
regards Tony Mayo
Tony Mayo

Boat: Mirage 29

Re: Fairline 29 Mirage; leaking windows

Postby vivelo » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Old post, but just in case someone comes back. the frames are welded, so its not easy. I didn't take mine out, they are just filled with sealant and scrapped off to look nice. I scraped out about 5mm all the way around inside and out, refilled with sealant and smoothed off.
If you are getting leaks, just check the drains are clear, the rubber strip the sliding window sits on has a habit of sliding with the window, gets stuck and blocks the drains. It shouldn't move, if it does, just glue it to stay below the sliding window.
vivelo

Return to Project Forum